Life & Health Sciences Sports, Exercise & Recreation
Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 22 Aug 2018 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 2 years
- Course Fee
- HK$24,500 per year
This programme is designed for people who are currently working in leisure administration or recreation and sports management positions, or who intend to pursue a career in the management of leisure services.
This programme aims to develop in students the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge required to work as a high level sport and recreation administrator or junior manager within the industry. They should be able to assess the individual/community requirements, to deliver the services in a safe, supportive and equitable manner and be able to manage recreation and sport projects.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship, the deadline application is 31 May each year.
This is a 2-year programme.
- Year 1 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in August 2018
- Year 2 of the Advanced Diploma studies: Commencing in August 2019
Holders of this Advanced Diploma can apply for the BSc (Honours) Sport Management offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the University of Northumbria.
|Application Code||1640-HS099A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year 1) (occasionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Wednesday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year 1) (occasionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Tuesday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year 2) (occasionally classes may finish at 10pm)
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm (Year 2) (occasionally classes may finish at 10pm)
The programme includes teaching and assessment in the following subject areas:
Year 1: Course HS099B: starting August 2018
1. Recreation and Sports Administration in Practice
2. Fundamentals of Marketing
3. Basic Accounting and Control
4. Principles of Management
5. Operations Management
6. Programming and Promotion in Recreation and Sports
7. English Study Skills
Year 2: Course HS099A: starting August 2019
8. Financial Management
9. Recreation, Sport and the Law
10. Management Skills in Recreation and Sport
11. Human Resource Management
12. Recreation and Sports Marketing
13. Recreation and Sport Project Development
Students who complete Modules 1 to 13 will receive the Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. Students who choose to exit after completing Modules 1 to 7 will be awarded a Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management.
* Individual modules: can be taken on their own without the need to complete the whole Advanced Diploma or Diploma programme.
- Have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 3 in 2 subjects and Level 2 in 3 subjects (including English Language); or equivalent; or
- Have gained in the HKAL Grade E in 2 AL subjects and 3 passes at HKCEE Level (including #English Language) or, equivalent; or
- Be at least 21 years of age and have 3 years of relevant work experience and provide evidence of English proficiency, such as HKCEE English Language at Level 2; or HKCEE English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade E or Grade C (Syllabus A); or equivalent.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
*Grade E (Syllabus B) or Grade C (Syllabus A) in pre-2007 or Level 2 obtained in and after 2007.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$24,500 per year (The course fee is reviewed annually and the fee for August 2018 is subject to change without prior notice)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
CEF SectorBusiness Services
|Human Resource Management and Principles of Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management and Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programmes)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z04147-9||FEES $8,300||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Fundamentals of Marketing and Principles of Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management and Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programmes)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z04148-7||FEES $8,300||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Fundamentals of Marketing and Human Resource Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management and Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programmes)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z06594-7||FEES $8,300||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Special Events and Entertainment Administration and Special Events and Entertainment Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programme)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z04149-5||FEES $7,600||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Special Events and Entertainment Administration and Event and Entertainment Operations Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programme)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z06595-5||FEES $7,600||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
CEF SectorFinancial Services
|Basic Accounting and Control, and Financial Management (Module from Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management and Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Programmes)|
|COURSE CODE 23Z02184-8||FEES $8,300||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Continuing Education Fund reimbursable programme (selected modules only)
Some modules of this programme have been included in the list of CEF reimbursable programmes. Application for CEF has to be made before commencement of the modules.
The programme offers candidates the opportunity to begin academic development in the field of Recreation and Sports Management.
- Successful completors of the Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management may continue their studies for the BSc (Honours) Sport Management offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the University of Northumbria on a part time or full time basis.
- The Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management is recognized by Hong Kong’s National Sports Associations and will enhance career prospects for those wishing to pursue careers in Hong Kong Recreation and Sport managing bodies.
- Holders of the Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management may apply for Membership of the Hong Kong Recreation Management Association and this will be considered favourably.
- This programme has been approved as the basis for application to the City and Guilds Senior Awards at Licentiateship level.
- Holders of the Woodbadge offered by the Scout Association of Hong Kong are considered favourably for entry to this programme studies.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Application may be made online via HKU SPACE website or you may complete and return to HKU SPACE the attached application form together with a cheque for HK$150 application fee made payable to “HKU SPACE".
Miss Jessie Fung
c/o Sport, Exercise and Recreation Management
HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
13/F., Fortress Tower,
250 King's Road, Fortress Hill,
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment (for the course/programme has online enrolment only)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- Relevant Programmes
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Work Based Learning Studies (Recreation and Sports Management) Advanced Diploma in Sport Event and Entertainment Management Advanced Diploma in Outdoor Adventure Recreation Management Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Work Based Learning Studies (Sport Event and Entertainment Management) Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Postgraduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Work Based Learning Studies (Fitness and Exercise) Advanced Diploma in Recreational Clubhouse Management Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Work Based Learning Studies (Sport Coaching and Performance) Advanced Diploma in Sport Coaching and Performance Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management