Life & Health SciencesDietetics, Food & Nutrition
Human Biology and Organic Chemistry II
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 20 Apr 2020 (Mon)
- 3.5 months
- Course Fee
The aim of this programme is to provide students with the basic knowledge in human biology and chemistry which will prepare them for further studies in the field of food and nutrition and related disciplines.
Programme Structure and Content
The total teaching hours is approximately 50 and extends over a period of approximately 3.5 months. There will be a 2 hour written test at the end of each module.
Organic Chemistry module
- Bonding and structure of chemical compound
- Chemical energetics
- Chemical kinetics
- Chemical equilibrium
- Functional groups in organic chemistry
- Electrophilic and nucleophilic reactions
- Introduction to stereochemistry and chirality
- The importance of stereochemistry and chiralty in biological system and pharmaceutical industry
Human Biology module
- Nutrition, health and disease
- Digestive system
- Respiratory system
- Circulatory system
- Basic immunology
- Chemical messengers
- Endocrine and nervous system
- growth and development
- introduction to genetics
Students who complete the course with a minimum of 80 % attendance rate and pass both written tests will be awarded a Statement of Achievement by HKU SPACE.
Students who have successfully completed this Level II course will be eligible to apply for the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology.
|Application Code||1780-SC399A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm and
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm; some Saturday afternoons
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (Usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay or North Point)
- Course Fee : HK$6,500
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the enrolment form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and a course fee to either:
- By Post: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, HKU SPACE, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point (Attn to: Ms Annie Siu) OR
- In Person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition) OR
- By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.