Life & Health SciencesDietetics, Food & Nutrition
Human Biology and Organic Chemistry I
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- To be advised
- 3 months
- Course Fee
The aim of this programme is to provide students the fundamental knowledge of biology and chemistry. This will equip them with the science foundation to further their studies in the field of biological sciences.
Programme Structure and Content
The total teaching hours is approximately 40. and extends over a period of approximately 3 months. There will be a 2 hour written test at the end of each module.
Introductory Chemistry module:
- Understanding of matters, elements and compounds
- atoms and subatomic particles, periodic table
- physical and chemical properties of substances
- chemical bondings; acids and alkalis
- oxidation and reduction, electrolysis
Introductory Biology module:
- Introduction to biological molecules
- the structure of cell and its activities
- transportation of biological molecules
- nutrients and balanced diet
- generation of biochemical energy
- cellular homeostasis; reproduction
Students who complete the course with a minimum of 80 % attendance rate and pass ALL written tests will be awarded a Statement of Achievement by HKU SPACE.
Students who have successfully completed this course will be eligible to apply for the HKU SPACE Human Biology and Organic Chemistry II short course.
|Application Code||1860-SC398A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm and
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm; some Sat afternoons
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay or North Point)
- Course Fee : HK$5,500
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the enrolment form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and a course fee to either:
- By Post: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, HKU SPACE, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point (Attn to: Ms Annie Siu) OR
- In Person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition) OR
- By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Coourse fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.