Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
This unique programme provides advanced knowledge of the contribution of physical activity and intergrative approaches to wellness. It also aims to enhance students understanding of business management skills related to the wellness industry with a focus on the design of relevant and feasible wellness programmes. It is suitable for fitness instructors, personal trainers, exercise and wellness leaders, corporate human resources personnel, community organisation programme directors and other front-line health and fitness professionals seeking to further their knowledge of this area through higher level academic studies.
The programme aims to explore the major concepts that underpin the contribution of physical activity and integrative approaches to wellness. Students will appreciate the dimensions of wellness and the composition of integrative health and wellness. Whilst the focus is upon healthy individuals, students will address the wellness needs of specific population groups and those with common disease. They will also understand business management skills related to the wellness industry with a focus upon the design of relevant and feasible wellness programmes. As such the programme equips students with an understanding of the complex knowledge and practical skills required to develop and manage the delivery of wellness programmes, for individuals and groups, according to their specific needs. It is suitable for fitness instructors, personal trainers, exercise and wellness leaders, corporate human resources personnel, community organisation programme directors and other front-line health and fitness professionals seeking to further their knowledge of this area through higher level academic studies.
Duration of Study
Classes will be conducted on weekday evenings nornmally twice per week.
The medium of instruction is English. The delivery methods are diverse which include face-to-face lectures, e-learning activities, workshop, tutorial and placement project.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- critically discuss the concepts and theories that underpin physical activity, wellness and wellbeing;
- review a range of evidence-based integrative health and wellness practices that could be included in a wellness programme;
- employ techniques in the development of holistic and integrative wellness programmes;
- strategically design a wellness programme and business plan according to the specific needs of an organisation offering wellness programmes.
The programme incorporates a wide variety of assessment methods enabling the ways in which student achievement is measured and evaluated to be appropriate to the learning outcomes of each module. The assessment included written/group assignments and written test and the pass mark is set at 50%.
To complete the programme, students are required to achieve 70% attendance of the programme and pass all the assignments. Upon successful completion, students will be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship, the deadline application is 31 May each year.
|Application Code||2090-HS198A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Students are expected to incorporate the knowledge gained from all three modules into the completion of a community-based project included in Module 3. The Project provides students with the opportunity to place their acquired theory and knowledge into a relevant and practical context through application in the field.
1. Integrative Health and Wellness
An examination of integrative health and wellness, including the history, philosophies, and methods of prominent integrative therapies. The variety of approaches, major concepts, methodological approaches and theoretical foundations are explored. Perceived differences between, and limitations of, traditional and non-traditional medicine will be identified. Connections between the mind, body, spirit, and energy in relation to wellbeing and disease. An overview of the scientific evidence for integrative interventions for health promotion, and biological approaches.
2. Physical Activity and Wellness
A discussion of the dimensions of wellness and an holistic approach to health. Current global trends in wellness identifying the scope and development of this growing industry. The impact of physical activity and inactivity on individuals and society together with physical activity trends and strategies as well as the influencing factors of physical activity behaviours. The benefits of physical activity and exercise and the effect that they have on the wellness of individuals and specific population groups are explored.
3. Wellness Programme Business Management
Common business practices in the wellness industry and the advanced skills and knowledge necessary to successfully design, plan, develop, implement, evaluate and manage exercise and wellness programmes. Students will seek to innovatively apply these concepts to a local organisation project in a placement, or professional sharing experience, allowing for the culture and philosophy of the organisation.
Applicants should normally hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution in a related subject, for example sport, exercise, physical activity and health, social sciences, psychology, nursing, physiotherapy or equivalent.
If the bachelor’s degree, or equivalent qualification, is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Consideration will also be given to applicants who do not fulfill the academic requirement but possess five years of work experience in a related industry. Such applicants shall have to provide evidence of English proficiency as listed above.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$24,500 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management
|COURSE CODE 41E138291||FEES $24,500||ENQUIRY 2587-3155|
|Integrative Health and Wellness (Module from Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management)|
|COURSE CODE 41Z138301||FEES $7,350||ENQUIRY 2587-3155|
|Physical Activity and Wellness (Module from Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management)|
|COURSE CODE 41Z13831A||FEES $7,350||ENQUIRY 2587-3155|
|Wellness Programme Business Management (Module from Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management)|
|COURSE CODE 41Z138328||FEES $9,800||ENQUIRY 2587-3155|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Certificate in Holistic Wellness Management
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management Holistic Wellness