Accounting & FinanceFinance and Compliance
Executive Certificate in Aircraft Leasing and Financing
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- September 2021
- 1 month to 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$6000 per programme
This programme offers the essential concepts and contemporary issue about aircraft leasing and financing. It provides a broad overview of main categories of different aircraft leasing transactions.
About The Hong Kong Aircraft Leasing and Aviation Finance Association
The Hong Kong Aircraft Leasing and Aviation Finance Association (HKALA) was founded in June 2017 to promote the development of the aircraft leasing and finance industry.
HKALA's members include key international and domestic lessors, lessees, banks and other financial institutions, investors, law firms, accounting and tax advisory firms and other service providers involved in the aircraft leasing and finance industry.
The Association seeks to be a united force in the industry that strives to enhance Hong Kong's status as an international aviation and financial centre.
The total number of contact hours is 30 for the entire programme.
The programme aims to equip students with a solid foundation and knowledge of the latest developments in aircraft leasing and financing. It deals with different aspects of aircraft leasing and financing with a focus on the practical features pertinent to the Hong Kong aviation market.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Apply fundamental concepts of leasing and financing transactions in the aircraft sector
- Evaluate how the regulatory framework and the demands of regulatory bodies affect aircraft leasing and financing in Hong Kong
- Explain the operation of aircraft leasing and financing transactions
- Discuss the best practice and challenges of aircraft leasing and financing in Hong Kong
Mr. William Ho
William specialises in aircraft finance and leasing. He has considerable expertise across a broad range of aviation transactions including export credits, tax leases, operating leases and sale and purchase of aircraft portfolios. His experience covers a variety of structures including Japanese operating leases, French tax leases, European ECA- and US Exim-backed aircraft financing, pre-delivery financing and Chinese domestic leases. William’s work upon a number of innovative deals has been recognised in the Airfinance Journal’s Asia Pacific Deal of the Year for each of 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2018.
William was an advisor to the Aviation Task Force under the Hong Kong Economic Development Commission of the Hong Kong SAR Government from 2012 to 2017, contributing to the establishment of Hong Kong’s concessionary tax regime for aircraft leasing. He is consistently ranked a Band 1 Aviation Finance lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific.
Mr. Clarence Leung
Clarence has more than 20 years in the asset finance & leasing industry including working in the asset finance and leasing department of an Investment Bank in the UK. He specialises in advising on asset finance and leasing related matters, involving a range of assets including telecommunication assets, transportation and plant and machinery.Clarence has more than 20 years in the asset finance & leasing industry including working in the asset finance and leasing department of an Investment Bank in the UK. He specialises in advising on asset finance and leasing related matters, involving a range of assets including telecommunication assets, transportation and plant and machinery.
In the last 7 years, Clarence has been working very closely with the Hong Kong SAR Government in formulating the tax policies for turning Hong Kong into an aviation leasing and financing hub. The concessionary tax regime became law on 29 June 2017 with an effectively date from 1 April 2017. Clarence worked on the first deal to utilise the Hong Kong leasing regime and has worked on a number of other notable deals using the regime in Hong Kong since.
1 Principles of Aircraft Leasing and Financing ( 21 hrs)
2 Aircraft Leasing and Financing in Practice ( 9 hrs )
Module 1 Principles of Aircraft Leasing and Financing
- Introduction to the aviation industry and its growth projections
- Fundamental concepts of leasing
- Aircraft nationality and rights registration
- Purchase and leasing of aircraft
- Aircraft trading
- Lease financing of aircraft
- Commercial debt financing of aircraft
- Export credit financing of aircraft
- Tax lease financing of aircraft
- Capital market structures in aircraft financing
- Financial statement analysis for aviation
- Financial modeling aircraft leasing and financing
- Airline performance and credit risk
- Overview of air services development and its regulatory framework
- Double taxation treaty network
- Concessionary tax regime
- Legal aspects of aircraft leasing and financing
- Analysis of key terms in aircraft leases
- Technical aspects of aircraft leases
- Aviation insurances and key clauses
- Claims management in aviation insurances
Module 2 Aircraft Leasing and Financing in Practice
- Aircraft leasing and financing business in practice
- Case studies in aircraft leasing and financing
- Managing an aircraft throughout its life cycle
- Aircraft portfolio management
- Opportunities and challenges for aircraft leasing and financing in Hong Kong
Assessment method: one individual assignment for each module
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who pass in continuous assessment as well as achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
SEP 2021 INTAKE - TO BE ADVISED
FEb 2021 intake - FULL
27 Feb 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm; 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
|1 (21 hours)|
6 Mar 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm; 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
13 Mar 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm; 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
20 Mar 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
|2:00 pm - 5:00 pm||2 ( 9 hours)|
27 Mar 2021
10:00 am - 1:00 pm; 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Venue: Hong Kong Island Campus
Applicants shall hold:
i) a Bachelor's Degree awarded by a recognized Universirty or equivalent; or
ii) an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior work experience will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$6000 per programme
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
*HKU SPACE MasterCard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
A. In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Finance and Compliance