Architecture, Environment & HousingArchitecture
Certificate for Module (Strategic Application of Building Information Modelling in Architecture and Project Management)
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 24 Nov 2020 (Tue)
- Next intake(s)
- 3 to 4 months
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
Building Information Modeling (BIM) has become the must-know vocabulary within the construction industry. This programme will equip participants with the necessary knowledge and skills of BIM application. The focus of the programme will be on the strategic and managerial side of this tool.
This programme is suitable for professionals who will have a need in planning, overseeing or managing a multi-discipline BIM team in their daily job. The programme will be delivered in the form of lectures, case studies and group exercises.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the fundamental theories of BIM in the Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) industry;
- Compare the potentials and limitations of BIM applications on construction projects in the local context;
- Describe and identify the fundamentals of BIM software operation, in order to manage a BIM team;
- Outline the legal and contractual issues of BIM applications in the local context.
- Introduction of BIM
- Fundamental theories of BIM. Principles of BIM software operations
- Potentials and limitations of common BIM applications
- Introduction to Revit - Interface and workset, drawing, outputting schedule, and construction drawing
- Clash detection & change management
- Clash analysis & 4D BIM
- BIM standards & Level of Development
- BIM Team management - Team structure, office resources and project programme in Naviswork
- Legal and contractual issues and consultancy agreement for Consultants
- BIM contracts and specifications for Contractors
- 5D BIM & Facility management in BIM
- Facility management in BIM
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE a Certificate for Module (Strategic Application of Building Information Modelling in Architecture and Project Management)
Days / Time
- Tuesday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- Mr. Paul MUI, BA(AS)(Hons) HKU, AA Dipl, ARB, RIBA, HKIA
- 12 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Day (Tuesday 6:45-9:45pm)
1, 8, 15, 29
5, 12, 19, 26
Type of Assessment
Background research for the BIM adoption in Hong Kong. Group assignment (2-3 students per group). Word count is approx.1,000 words)
Feasibility study report of BIM adoption for architectural practice. Group assignment (2-3 students per group). Word count is approx.1,000 words)
Total : 100%
Applicants shall be building and construction personnel with basic knowledge in building and construction operation and workflow.
- Course Fee : HK$5840
Application Form Download Application FormPayment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.