Business & Management Human Capital and Leadership
The programme aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills to identify the artistic and financial worth of art pieces, to buy and sell art, and to market and run an art business.
The programme begins with a study of the art business market, covering topics such as the artistic and financial value of art pieces, the key players and ecosystem of the art market and the latest trends, technology and emergence of online art trading platforms. In the second part of the programme, the focus will be on collecting and investing in art pieces, the running and marketing of the art business and how to build a career in the commercial art world.
The programme adopts a hands-on approach and includes examining real art pieces in class, case studies and a visit to an art gallery or art auction.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Differentiate between the artistic and market value of an art piece and identify factors that affect the financial worth of an art piece;
- Discuss the key trends of the global and local art market and the emergence of online art trading platforms;
- Identify key financial instruments that facilitate art investment; and
- Apply key business and marketing skills to run an art business and build a career in the commercial art world.
The programme consists of 30 hours of lectures and 3 hours of visit:
- Essential knowledge about the art business market
- A brief study of art history to understand how the commercial art world has evolved to its present state
- Factors affecting the financial worth of an art piece
- Introduction to relevant art laws around the world
- Latest developments in the art market
- Preparing and building an art collection
- Art as an investment
- Art dealing and running a gallery business
- Building a career in the commercial art world
- How to sell and market your own art as an artist
To successfully complete the programme, students must
- Attendance not less than 70% AND;
- An overall pass rate of 50% in Coursework and 50% of Group Project
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE a Certificate for Module (Art Business Investment and Management).
*The class schedule is tentative, HKU SPACE reserve the right to make changes when necessary.
Ms Julia Ip （葉敏中小姐）
Julia Ip is passionate about art and is an avid art collector and independent art curator. With experience as a gallery owner and art consultant offering art collection and investment advice, she has been active in the international art market scene for more than a decade. Julia frequently treads around the globe to attend major international art events and auctions and has been involved in a number of headline-grabbing transactions for highly sought-after artworks. She is also a seasoned investment banker with close to 20 years of work experience in global investment banks including UBS, BNP Paribas, and JP Morgan.
Julia is also a keen philanthropist and the founder and executive director of Project Artist X, the first art-based social enterprise in Hong Kong with a mission to benefit the local community through art. In addition, she serves as a committee member for the Arts with the Disabled Association Hong Kong (ADA), as well as for ADA’s social enterprise arm, ADAM Arts Creation. From 2010 to 2013, she was on the Board of Directors of the Hong Kong Foreign Financial Institutions Association (HKFFIA).
葉敏中（Julia Ip）熱衷於藝術，更是一位積極的藝術收藏家與獨立策展人。Julia帶着擁有自己的畫廊、及提供藝術收藏和投資建議的專業經驗， 在過去十多年一直活躍於全球藝術市場，經常踏足大型的國際藝術活動和拍賣，並參與了很多熱門藝術品的激烈拍賣。除了藝術投資外，Julia也是一位擁有近20年經驗的投資銀行家，曾蹤橫多家大型國際銀行，包括瑞士銀行（UBS），法國巴黎銀行（BNP Paribas）和摩根大通（JP Morgan）等。
Julia也是一位慈善家，創辦了本港首家以藝術為基礎和利用藝術造福本地不同社群為使命的社會企業Project Artist X，現時擔任該機構的執行董事。此外，她更是香港展能藝術會（ADAHK）以及其社企部門ADAM Arts Creations的顧問委員之一。此外，Julia在2010年到2013年間於香港外國金融機構協會（HKFFIA ）出任過董事一職。
Days / Time
- Tue, Thu, 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
(i) hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized institution; OR
(ii) hold a professional qualification in a relevant discipline and three years of full-time work experience at senior managerial level in related industries.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
i. an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in IELTS; or
ii. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
iii. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
iv. HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
v. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants not meeting the standard set of criteria for admission will be assessed on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Art Business Investment and Management)
|COURSE CODE 33C135531||FEES $12,500||ENQUIRY 2867-8310|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Art Business Investment and Management)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Complete and return the application form in person to HKU SPACE Enrolment Centers. For venue, please refer to our HKU SPACE website at http://hkuspace.hku.hk/learning-centre. The application must be accompanied with:
a) A non-refundable application fee of HKD$150 (Cheque should be crossed and made payable to "HKU SPACE") to be submitted with the application for enrolment. The application fee will be used to cover the cost of processing.
b) Photocopies of HKID card
c) Photocopies of relevant certificates/transcripts, and testimonials
d) Photocopies of documentary proof of the applicant's working experience.
*Please bring original certificates/official transcripts and testimonials/documentary proof of working experience for certification at HKU SPACE Centres.Payment Method
Tuition fees must be settled at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for the application and the applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
- Applicants must print out and sign on the payment slip (if any) before settling the tuition fees at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- Online payment is unavailable for this programme.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.