Architecture, Environment & HousingArchitecture
Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies
CEF Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 3 years
We offer a broad range of architecture courses from award-bearing courses to provide students with the foundation to study architecture at the tertiary level, to interest courses on architecture and design topics and technical courses on the practice of architecture.
Programme Aims & Features
The construction sector is one of the driving forces behind Hong Kong’s economy. The future looks even brighter for those who are eager to make their creative mark in this vibrant and expanding market. Emerging opportunities such as architectural conservation, sustainable development, urban renewal, building maintenance and most importantly, the blooming construction industry in China will, undoubtedly, open up new prospects for local and non-local architectural career development.
The series of programmes provides students with essential knowledge and skills related to design, building technology and professional practice, and produces pre-professional graduates capable of working in the industry or pursuing further studies.
The programme utilizes special studio facilities exclusively for HKU SPACE architectural studies students. The programme also includes lots of exiting outside-classroom activities such as building and site visits and project research.
Opportunities for Further Studies
The programme will also enable students to further their studies. In past years, a considerable number of graduates were accepted by leading local or overseas architecture or design schools as shown in the list below. Most were admitted directly to Year 2 or Year 3 of degree programmes:
- The University of Hong Kong
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Curtin University of Technology
- RMIT University
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Adelaide
- The Architectural Association (AA)
- The University of Liverpool
- The University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- The University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Kingston University
- University of Westminister
- University of Northumbria
- De Montfort University
This programme consists of 17 modules (66 credits in total) in 3 years for part-time mode. There are 2 semesters in each year.
- Part-time Year 1:
- Architectural Design 1
- Visual Studies 1
- Environmental Controls 1
- Building Structures 1
- Building Construction 1
- English for Architectural Studies
- Modern Architecture
- Part-time Year 2:
- Architectural Design 2
- Visual Studies 2a
- Environmental Controls 2
- Building Structures 2
- Building Construction 2
- Architects in Practice
- Appreciation in Landscape Architecture
- Part-time Year 3:
- Architectural Design 3
- Visual Studies 2b
- Aspects of Professional Practice
*Programme Structure is subject to final confirmation.
The "Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies" is awarded within HKU system to students who have completed the required modules and fulfilled the following requirements:
- Normally achieved 80% attendance* in lectures, design studio, field trip/site visit components; and
- Passed all assessment.
*In the event a student cannot attend a class function (i.e. lecture, tutorial, field trip or site visit), he/she must in advance formally submit a written application for a short leave. Only sickness or unforeseen circumstances will be considered as valid reasons for absence.
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination* Level 2 or above in five subjects including English Language, Chinese Language and Mathematics (Core) and with 1 year’s relevant working experience;or
- have a pass in one AL subject or two AS subjects in the HKALE;or
- hold a recognised Pre-Associate Degree / Foundation Programme qualification; or
- hold a recognized post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Applicants who do not possess the above academic qualifications but who are aged 25 or above with 1 year’s relevant working experience will be considered by the College.
*Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
- “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3; and
- “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2.
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$46,266 per year (Paid in 2 installments)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Visual Studies 1 (Module from Part-time Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies Programme)
視像研究 1 (兼讀制建築學專業文憑課程科目)
|COURSE CODE 22Z00894-6||FEES $12,504||ENQUIRY 3762-0071|
|Visual Studies 2a (Module from Part-time Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies Programme)
視像研究 2a (兼讀制建築學專業文憑課程科目)
|COURSE CODE 22Z00896-2||FEES $7,229||ENQUIRY 3762-0071|
|Visual Studies 2b (Module from Part-time Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies Programme)
視像研究 2b (兼讀制建築學專業文憑課程科目)
|COURSE CODE 22Z00897-0||FEES $8,262||ENQUIRY 3762-0071|
|Aspects of Professional Practice (Module from Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies)|
|COURSE CODE 31Z116349||FEES $13,219||ENQUIRY 3763-0073|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Professional Diploma in Architectural Studies
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please visit any of HKU SPACE enrolment counters to apply for the programme. True copies and photocopies of academic/working qualifications should be brought along for certification.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.