Engineering and Science Library and Information Studies
The programme is jointly organized by the International Council on Archives - East Asian Regional Branch (EASTICA) and HKU SPACE.
The programme aims to train students to become professional archivists by providing them with a broad and enriched learning experience covering a full spectrum of principles and methodology in managing records and archives throughout their life-cycle and in setting up and managing an archival institution.
The programme will guide students to plan, establish and manage archives in their organization to meet business, legal, fiscal, public relations and cultural needs.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Apply the techniques to set up an archive and manage records in an office setting
- Analyse the issues, methods and problems in managing office documents and business records
- Synthesise the major concepts of archives especially in areas of acquisition, description and dissemination
- Evaluate the impact of globalization on records and archives management
- Identify the major records-related laws and apply the knowledge to review legal issues relating to archival operation
- Apply the theories and practices in performing archival functions
- Apply conceptual models in preserving digital archives
News about Archival Studies Development in Hong Kong:
This is a 12 months part time programme consisting of 13 core modules.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Achieve 75% attendance
Pass the required continuous assessment and examination of all modules
Students who have completed all the required modules will be awarded with a Postgraduate Diploma in Archival Studies within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Students with Postgraduate Certificate in Archival Studies awarded with the HKU system through HKU SPACE may apply for exemption.
Days / Time
- Tue, Thu, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
|Core Modules||Contact Hours|
Archives and Archivist: Fundamentals of Archives Management and Role of an Archivist
Records in Office System: Management of Records throughout Their Life Cycle
Appraisal and Acquisition
Arrangement and Description
Management of Electronic Records and Archives Automation
Setting Up and Managing An Archives
Managing Current Records
Globalisation and Memory of the World
Legal Issues in Archives and Records Management
Advanced Appraisal, Arrangement and Description
Applicants shall hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as :
- an overall band of 6.0 with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Preference will be given to those who have work experience in record-keeping, management of archives or library services.
Applicants with other qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- All applicants are required to complete one Application Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to Ms Katrina Knip, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
- Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Library and Information Studies