Life & Health SciencesDietetics, Food & Nutrition
Postgraduate Certificate in Community Nutrition
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- To be advised
- 4 months
- Module 1 - English; Module 2 - Cantonese supplemented with English. (For both modules, teaching materials and programme assessment will be in English)
- Course Fee
This programme aims to equip dietitians and nutritionists with the knowledge of the community nutrition services in Hong Kong. The processes involved in the development and evaluation of new community nutrition services will also be covered. In addition, the programme offers a supervised practicum which provides practical experience for students.
Graduates will be able to apply for positions including community health, rehabilitation practitioner and nutrition health promotion officer in places such as NGOs and private clinics.
The programme comprises two modules. Students will examine the theoretical aspects in Module 1 and they will be given the opportunity to apply what they have learnt in a community practicum in Module 2.
Module 1 – Nutrition Promotion (Part-time)
Health promotion theory; Community nutrition policy in Hong Kong; Socio-cultural determinants of nutritional disparities and food insecurity; Interventions with low-income audiences; Community nutrition interventions to improve health; Communication skills including working with media; Developing community nutrition programmes - needs assessment, program outcomes and efficacy; Professional issues – policies for ethical-legal issues, anti-discrimination.
Duration : Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:45 – 9:45pm (approximately 4 weeks)
Venue : HKU SPACE Learning Centre
Module 2 – Community Nutrition Practicum (Part-time)
Supervised practicum will take place in St James Settlement facilities, associated schools and centers. Students will develop skills and knowledge to practice with a variety of service users and in a range of settings which will include: Community health talks/activities/workshops; Home visits; Site visits e.g. food bank, old age home and an elderly centres, Department of Health and Centre for Health Protection centers and clinics; Kitchen/meal service; Menu planning.
Students will be able to indicate preference; however, placement allocation will depend on availability of placements.
Duration : ~16 - 18 weeks
|Application Code||1755-HS009A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- Module 1: HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point) Module 2: St James Settlement facilities, associated schools and centers.
(a) (i) hold a bachelor’s degree in nutrition awarded by a recognised university; OR
(ii) hold a recognised professional qualification in dietetics;
(b) provide evidence of English proficiency (if the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English) such as:
(i) an overall band of 6.0 with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS;
(ii) a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL;
(iii) HKALE Use of English at Grade E;
(iv) equivalent qualifications.
(c) be able to speak and read Chinese effectively. In each case the candidate shall satisfy the Admissions Committee that he/she is unlikely to be disadvantaged in his/her studies by language.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview as appropriate.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$17,500
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Certificate in Community Nutrition
|COURSE CODE 42E106848||FEES $17,500||ENQUIRY 3762-0833|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Certificate in Community Nutrition
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition)
By online: through HKU SPACE website.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Dietetics, Food & Nutrition