This part-time LLM is ideal for those with busy work schedules. Offered by Manchester Metropolitan University in partnership with HKU SPACE, the LLM in Legal Practice is a cost-effective degree programme with CPD point recognition.
WHY CHOOSE THIS LLM?
Fast route to a master’s degree – “Top-up” the PCLL into an LLM
- 120 of the requisite 180 credits for a master’s degree have already been obtained from the prerequisite Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) or equivalent UK qualification.
- Candidates need only: view 4 pre-recorded online lectures (2 hours each) and prepare for participation in 3 real-time live online workshops, on Research Methods; and write a 3,000-word Research Proposal, followed by a 15,000-word Final Dissertation.
Flexible and expedient
- The online lectures can be downloaded and viewed at a candidate’s own convenience.
- Online workshops are agreed to accommodate candidates’ work schedules.
- Research can be written at a candidate’s own pace and convenience.
- We admit on a rolling basis: Start at any time and complete within 1 year.
Choice of research topic
- Candidates can propose to research in any area of law that interests them for the purposes of the assessed work.
- Candidates’ preparation for, and production of, the assessed work will be supervised by an expert from the individual candidate’s chosen field of research.
- These supervising experts are distinguished academics and practitioners, available to provide ongoing face-to-face or online support to candidates for the duration of the LLM course.
- More affordable and reasonably priced than other equivalent LLMs offered in Hong Kong.
Well-established and globally connected law school
- Manchester Law School is one of the largest law schools in the UK, with more than 20,000 alumni across the globe and strong links to major law firms across the UK and beyond.
- 30-year collaboration with HKU SPACE, producing around 5,000 graduates.
- These connections provide excellent networking opportunities, both through Manchester Metropolitan University and HKU SPACE’s alumni networks and current students.
- Law Society of Hong Kong CPD approved: This LLM is eligible for candidates to apply for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points in accordance with the Law Society rules for Solicitors.
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
One of the great attractions of this programme is that you can choose any law-related topic that interests you from a wide range of research areas. Examples include (but not limited to):
|Advocacy||Criminal Practice||Human Rights Law|
|Business Associations||Employment Law||Law and Society|
|Civil Litigation||Equity and Trusts||Medical Law and Ethics|
|Company Law in a Global Context||Evidence||Property Law and Conveyancing|
|Criminal Law||European Union Law||Succession|
|Criminal Justice||Family Law||Tort / Technology|
You can choose to study Hong Kong, English or international law – or even a mixture of all three. We will consider applications from students interested in researching any area of law, guided by a supervisor either nominated by yourself (subject to approval) or appointed by us based on your topic of choice.
Candidates will receive compulsory tuition in Research Methods by way of 4 online lectures (at 2 hours each) and 3 online workshops (at 1 hour each). The medium of instruction is English. Successful applicants will be provided with full details of scheduling, etc. prior to enrolling on the course. Each candidate will also be provided with ongoing support from a supervisor from Manchester Metropolitan University and/or a Hong Kong-based supervisor in the candidate's chosen field of research.
Candidates will be assessed by way of 2 pieces of written work: each candidate will submit a 3,000-word Research Proposal (constituting 15% of their final mark) and a 15,000-word Final Dissertation (constituting 85% of their final mark). Assessed work must be completed within (normally) 1 year from commencement of the course.
This LLM is offered exclusively to holders of the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL), or those who have successfully completed the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
Applicants will be considered and admitted based on satisfaction of the above entry requirements and on academic merit.
It is the responsibility of applicants to determine their eligibility to study this programme, which is intended for those having the right to live and study in Hong Kong. Please note that, under current immigration rules, it is very unlikely any overseas applicants will be granted visas to study this programme.
- HK$59,000 course fee & £1,015 registration fee
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants will be considered and admitted based on satisfaction of the entry requirements and on academic merit. Since the intake is limited, applicants are strongly recommended to apply as early as possible to ensure timely completion of the program.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
Dating back to 1824, Manchester Metropolitan University is one of the largest and most popular universities in the UK. It has over 38,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, including a diverse community of 3,000 international students from over 120 countries.
Manchester Law School is one of the UK’s largest law schools, with more than 1,200 current students and over 20,000 alumni across the globe. It is an inspiring and highly professional environment in which to further your legal studies, deepen your knowledge of the law and develop your career aspirations.
Based at the heart of the country’s second largest legal hub, the Law School prides itself on connections to the regional and national legal community and benefits from being located within a thriving professional services sector.
It is a friendly and supportive law school, dedicated to providing you with outstanding opportunities to develop practical legal skills and to reach your individual aspirations and potential.
Highly experienced professionals teach the postgraduate and professional programmes, from practising solicitors and barristers to judges, renowned research academics and legal scholars. This ensures that your learning is professionally relevant and informed by the latest practical developments in legal education and training.
The internationally recognised academic and legal practitioner have been instrumental in developing new research on subjects including equalities law, social justice, human rights, medical ethics and sports law.