Social Sciences Psychology & Counselling
(Note: This is an introductory level programme, so no programming background is required.)
Training in cognitive science prepares students admirably well for many of the disciplines that are targeted as the major growth fields of the 21st century, e.g., psychology, education, data science, medical analysis, virtual reality, artificial intelligence. As the world is enclosed by the information age, cognitive psychologists will be uniquely positioned to deal with this information. The programme aims to establish foundations for individuals who want to pursue their studies in the areas of psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience, data science, etc.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- describe the history and development of cognitive science;
- describe the role of cognitive science and experiment in the field of psychology;
- explain the concept and the development of major cognitive functions such memory, language;
- explain the information processing in human vision;
- understand the fundamental concepts of neuroscience related to cognitive psychology;
- application of cognitive psychology in understanding and developing skills in real world.
- Overview of the programme
- The philosophy and history of cognitive psychology
- The role of experiments in understanding human cognition, the essential characteristics and long-term goals of cognitive study.
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Classification and clustering
- Explore human brain functions in aspect of cognitive psychology
- Principle of cognitive experiment
- Theory of information processing model
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Language
- The evolution of language
- Word recognition and speech recognition
- Schema, self, pattern recognition
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Human vision, computer vision, and neural science
- Neurons and their role in the human brain
- Human vision and face recognition
- Visual and auditory pathways
- Recent applications in cognitive neuroscience
- EEG and fMRI
- Mindfulness and wellness promotion
- Concepts about machine learning
- Overview of cognitive improvement techniques and tools
- The cognitive learning models
- Brain-heart connection
Upon completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE "Certificate in Cognitive Psychology".
(Remark: For some sessions, students are required to bring laptops for in-class exercises. Prior notice will be given.)
Days / Time
- Tuesday, 7:00p.m. - 10:00p.m.
- Saturday, 2:00p.m.- 6:00p.m.
- - 3-hour Lecture (24 weeks): Tuesdays, February 20, 2024 – July 30, 2024
- 4-hour Experimental Class (7 weeks): Saturdays, March 9, April 6 & 27, May 18, June 8 & 29, July 20, 2024
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
(a) have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in five subjects including English Language, Chinese Language, Mathematics, Liberal Studies and 1 elective subject; or
(b) have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 3 subjects and Level 2 in Chinese Language and English Language*; or
(c) have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL subject or 2 AS subjects
* Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in Cognitive Psychology
|COURSE CODE 44C106056||FEES $10,300||ENQUIRY 2975-5865|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Cognitive Psychology
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit: i) a completed application form, ii) copies of academic certificates, iii) a copy of HKID card or passport, iv) an application fee of HK$150 by crossed cheque (payable to “HKU SPACE”) to the following address:
Ms. Sophie Wong
HKU SPACE, 11/F, Fortress Tower,
250 King’s Road,
North Point, H.K.
(Remarks: Application for Certificate in Cognitive Psychology)