Accounting & Finance FinTech and Financial Intelligence
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. Describe the history and regulatory evolution of cryptocurrency;
2. Explain the operation of blockchain ecosystem;
3. Assess the risks of digital assets in portfolio management;
4. Summarise the recent development of regulatory frameworks in digital assets.
(For full version, please visit the Video clip in the right column.)
This part-time programme consists of 30 contact hours.
1. Introduction to cryptocurrency
- Definition and purported benefits
- Chronological history and regulatory evolution of cryptocurrency
- Invention of bitcoin
- Centralised vs decentralised
2. Blockchain and distributed ledger technology
- Basics of blockchain technology
- Fundamentals of distributed ledger technology
- Various types of blockchain networks
- Benefits and risks of blockchain
3. Blockchain ecosystem
- Second layer protocols
- Various types of digital tokens
- Concept of decentralised finance (DeFi)
- Blockchain applications in financial services
4. Digital assets
- Difference between cryptocurrency and digital assets
- Variations of digital currencies
- Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs)
- Digital wallets, digital asset exchange and trade process
- Real world use cases
5. Investment opportunities of digital assets
- Correlation of digital assets and other asset classes
- Technical analysis of digital assets
- Risks of investing in digital assets
- Valuation frameworks for digital assets
6. Trading strategies of digital assets
- Altcoin trading
- Cryptocurrency long and short trading
- Cryptocurrency future and options trading
- Margin trading in cryptocurrency
- Earning interest with margin lending
- Technical indicators
- Overview of Hong Kong regulatory framework
- Current developments in Hong Kong and US regulations in digital assets
- Cryptocurrency scams
- Cybercrime threat
Jesse Hon Co is a seasoned finance professional who has adeptly transitioned into the technology sector, with a focus on blockchain. As the former General Manager of Blockchain Solutions Limited, a premier blockchain company based in Hong Kong, Jesse demonstrated leadership in overseeing governmental blockchain projects and served as DeFi & NFT tech lead.
With over a decade of experience in finance and real estate, Jesse has held senior roles in both fields, providing a solid foundation for his successful foray into the blockchain and cryptocurrency sector. His expertise is further underscored by his role as a regular instructor at HKUSpace and the Hong Kong Productivity Council. Jesse makes regular media appearances on television and radio broadcasts, as well as contributing to newspaper columns and interviews.
Marco Lim has over 14 years of experience overseeing electronic sales and trading operations in instutional fixed income, commodities, currencies with major financial institutions. Prior to joinging MaiCapital, he is a Hong Kong licences blockchain-focused asset manager. He was the Heads of North Asia Fixed Income, Commodities, Currencies electronic distribution for Goldman Sachs Asia LLC. Mr. Lim is the co-fund manager for Blockchain Opportunity Fund and the fund manager for the Bitcoin Plus Investment Fund.
Prior to joining MaiCapital, Lim also served at Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, and Forex Capital Markets, specializing in foreign Exchange sales. he is a former Executive Director - eFX at Goldman Sachs. At MaiCapital, Lim brings his expertise in sales and marketing to further develp the company.
Assessed by one individual written assignment.
Students are required to achieve at least 70% attendance.
Upon satisfactory completion of the programme, students will be awarded “Certificate for Module (Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets)” within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Lecture Hours: 30 hours
Medium of Instruction: English
|Apply Online Now
|Apply Online Now
HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus
(To be confirmed)
Modules & Class Details
Tentative Start Date: 15 March 2023 (Fri)
|15 March 2024 (Fri)
|22 March 2024 (Fri)
|5 April 2024 (Fri)
|12 April 2024 (Fri)
|19 April 2024 (Fri)
|26 April 2024 (Fri)
|3 May 2024 (Fri)
|10 May 2024 (Fri)
|17 May 2024 (Fri)
|24 May 2024 (Fri)
**The above tentative timetable and venue may be subject to change without prior notice until confirmation of timetable issued to student.
Fee & Entry Requirements
- Course Fee : HK$6200 per programme
Applicants shall hold an Advanced Diploma, a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree awarded by a recognised institution. Those with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets)
|COURSE CODE 33C137410
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Complete the application form.
2. Submit the application form with the following documents:
(a) CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES of all relevant academic and/or professional qualifications (please also bring along the originals of these documents for certification at HKU SPACE enrollment center); and
(b) copy of HKID card / passport and visa (if applicable).
The complete set of application forms with all relevant supporting documents may be submitted in person to any HKU SPACE enrollment centers.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Master Card including "HKUSPACE Master Card" at any HKUSPACE enrolment Centre.
** Double-sided printing is much appreciated**Payment Method
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances, subject to the School's discretion.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries of the relevant subject area for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of $120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for $30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE". Such copies will normally only be issued at the end of a course.
- Classes are expected to be held at HKU SPACE learning centers. The health and safety of our students is our top priority. If the situation in Hong Kong requires, HKU SPACE reserves the right to move some classes to other locations, including online teaching platforms.
- More Programmes of
- FinTech and Financial Intelligence