Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Geriatric Care
Module 1 : Anatomy and Physiology for Health Care Practice
Module 2 : English for Clinical Health Care Practice
Module 3 : Community Health Care Assessment
Module 4 : Dementia Care and Planning
Module 5 : Counselling and Communication Skills in Social Care Settings
Module 6 : Introduction to Community and Primary Health Care
Module 7 : Technology-based Health Promotion
Module 8 : Integrated Care for Elderly Services
Learning Outcomes :
On completion of the programme, students should be able to :
- explain risk factors contributing to common health problems as well as preventive care measures;
- demonstrate the health care procedures on vital signs taking and health assessment;
- use appropriate assessment tools to assess health conditions of the elderly;
- identify the clinical symptoms of people with decreased cognitive function;
- use basic counselling skills to explore the client’s current concerns, and empower him/her in self-care;
- apply early intervention techniques in preventive and collaborative care among community health professionals.
In addition to the lectures, there will be placement for Module 6 and Module 8.
Continuous assessment (quiz / test, presentation, individual assignment, group project, skill assessment etc.) and Examination (MCQs and Short Questions).
On completion of the programme, students are required to achieve 70% attendance and pass all the required assessments and an “Advanced Diploma in Health Studies (Integrated Health and Social Care)” will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Days / Time
- Saturday, 9:00am - 6:00pm (except some practical skills classes)
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants must have obtained :
- HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in five subjects* including English Language and Chinese Language#; or
- the Certificate in Health Studies (Integrated Training for Health Worker) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- an equivalent or higher academic qualification.
* Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
- “Attained with Distinction (II)” is deemed equivalent to Level 4 or above in the HKDSE Examination;
- “Attained with Distinction (I)” is deemed equivalent to Level 3 in the HKDSE Examination; and
- “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2 in the HKDSE Examination.
# ApL Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students) would be accepted as an alternative Chinese Language qualification.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- in person, at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centre, application form should be submitted together with the below supporting documents and application fee.
- by post, application form should be sent together with the below supporting documents and application fee either in the form of a crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to HKU SPACE.
- A Copy of Hong Kong Identity Card;
- A Copy of your HKDSE / HKCEE Certificate or higher academic qualification
- All forms should be sent to Food, Nutrition and Healthcare (Attn.: Ms Iris Wong), 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong. Please indicate "Application for Advanced Diploma in Health Studies HS183A" on the cover of the envelope.
1. Cash, EPS Or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.