Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Food Science
The programme aims to provide students with the knowledge of food safety, food hygiene management as well as principles and regulations for quality assurance. This certificate has been recognised by Food and Environmental Hygiene Department as equivalent to Hygiene Managers training course.
Students who successfully complete this certificate and Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management will be awarded the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management. These programmes equip students to take up supervisory duties in the food industry.
The programme consists of 3 modules:
Module A - Food Safety
- Introduction to microbiology and the control of microorganisms in foods;
- Monitoring and testing of foods;
- Food safety regulation and enforcement.
Module B - Environmental Health and Food Hygiene Management
- Introduction to food hygiene management;
- Construction and design of food premises;
- Licensing requirements and conditions on some common types of food licenses;
- Pest control;
- Food incident, complaint and response;
- Personal hygiene;
- Hygiene management of food.
Module C - Quality Assurance
- Introduction to HACCP;
- Quality improvement methods;
- Regulations and processes;
- Overview to ISO 9000/22000;
- Occupational safety and health;
- Sensory evaluation.
Remarks: Exemption on part of module A - Food Safety (Introduction to microbiology and the control of microorganisms in foods) will be given to students who have successfully completed the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Nutrition or equivalent.
- A HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management will be awarded to successful candidates.
- Students who have successfully completed the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate Course in Quality Control and Food Safety Management will satisfy the requirements of Hygiene Managers under the Hygiene Manager Scheme of Food and Environmental Hygiene Department.
- Students who successfully complete this certificate and the Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management will be awarded the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management.
Students who successfully complete the Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management together with all required HKU SPACE programmes, namely Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology, Advanced Certificate in Food Science, Advanced Certificate in Nutrition and any two of Advanced Certificate in Clinical Nutrition and Health Promotion, Advanced Certificate in Child and Adolescent Nutrition and/or Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition and other bridging courses are eligible to apply for entry into the two years part-time BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition extension programme offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with Ulster University, UK. (Details refer to Progression Path)
Days / Time
- Monday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- Thursday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm; some Saturday afternoons
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (Usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point)
*With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
# Preference will be given to those who are recommended by employers.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- $15,800 / $11,500 (Advanced Certificate with Module A exemption)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management
|COURSE CODE 42K106882||FEES $15,800||ENQUIRY 3762-0833|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition). OR
By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Food Science Dietetics and Nutrition
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management