LLM in Legal Practice [Top-up Award]
- Awarded by
Manchester Metropolitan University, United Kingdom
- Course Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 1 year
- Course Fee
- HK$56,700 course fee & £920 registration fee (2020/21)
This part-time LLM is ideal for those with busy work schedules. Offered by Manchester Metropolitan University in partnership with HKU SPACE, the LLM in Legal Practice is a cost-effective degree programme with CPD point recognition.
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
One of the great attractions of this course is that you can choose a topic that interests you from a wide range of research areas including:
|Advocacy||Criminal Practice||Human Rights Law|
|Business Associations||Employment Law||Law and Society|
|Civil Litigation||Equity and Trusts||Medical Law and Ethics|
|Company Law in a Global Context||Evidence||Property Law and Conveyancing|
|Criminal Law||European Union Law||Succession|
|Criminal Justice||Family Law||Tort|
You can choose to study Hong Kong, English or international law – or even a mixture of all three. We will also consider applications from students interested in researching other areas of law, in addition to those listed above.
Candidates will receive compulsory tuition in Research Methods by way of 4 online lectures (at 2 hours each) and 3 online workshops (at 1 hour each). The medium of instruction is English. Successful applicants will be provided with full details of scheduling, etc. prior to enrolling on the course. Each candidate will also be provided with on-going support from a supervisor from Manchester Metropolitan University and/or a Hong Kong-based supervisor in the candidate's chosen field of research.
Candidates will be assessed by way of 2 pieces of written work: each candidate will submit a 3,000-word Research Proposal (constituting 15% of their final mark) and a 15,000-word Final Dissertation (constituting 85% of their final mark). Assessed work must be completed within (normally) 1 year from commencement of the course.
This LLM is offered exclusively to holders of the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL), or Legal Practice Course (LPC), or Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) including Solicitors, Trainee Solicitors, Barristers, Pupil Barristers and Paralegals.
Each year’s cohort is limited to 20 candidates and enrolment will close as soon as the course is full. Applicants are therefore strongly recommended to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
It is the responsibility of applicants to determine their eligibility to study this programme, which is intended for those having the right to live and study in Hong Kong. Please note that, under current immigration rules, it is very unlikely any overseas applicants will be granted visas to study this programme.
- HK$56,700 course fee & £920 registration fee (2020/21)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis and enrolment will close as soon as the course is full. Since this intake is limited to a maximum of around 20 students, applicants are strongly recommended to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Coourse fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
Dating back to 1824, Manchester Metropolitan University is one of the largest and most popular universities in the UK. It has over 38,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, including a diverse community of 3,000 international students from over 120 countries.
Manchester Law School is one of the UK’s largest law schools, with more than 1,200 current students and over 20,000 alumni across the globe. It is an inspiring and highly professional environment in which to further your legal studies, deepen your knowledge of the law and develop your career aspirations.
Based at the heart of the country’s second largest legal hub, the Law School prides itself on connections to the regional and national legal community and benefits from being located within a thriving professional services sector.
It is a friendly and supportive law school, dedicated to providing you with outstanding opportunities to develop practical legal skills and to reach your individual aspirations and potential.
Highly experienced professionals teach the postgraduate and professional programmes, from practising solicitors and barristers to judges, renowned research academics and legal scholars. This ensures that your learning is professionally relevant and informed by the latest practical developments in legal education and training.
The internationally recognised academic and legal practitioner have been instrumental in developing new research on subjects including equalities law, social justice, human rights, medical ethics and sports law.