Accounting & Finance FinTech and Financial Intelligence
The recent advances in Big Data and AI have major impact on the investment...
Why would we want to find out a pair of stocks whose prices were moving...
In the Big Data era, Machine Learning (ML), an important branch of Artificial Intelligence (AI), adopts scientific study of algorithms and statistical models to improve their performance. By using the techniques of ML, data mining and predictive modelling, data analysts will be able to identify hidden relationships, discover new patterns, explore potential opportunities, and thus make better financial decisions. This programme will cover popular techniques of ML and Predictive Analytics such as Regression Analysis, Decision trees, Random Forest, Naive Bayes, Nearest Neighbors, Neural Networks, K-Means, and Time Series Forecasting. To illustrate more applications, practical cases and issues related to Big Data platforms or model evaluation will be introduced.
This programme targets Executives who would like to acquire the knowledge of Big Data and Machine Learning to assist their decision making. Also, learners who plan to acquire knowledge of Data Analytics and apply ML in their workplace are highly welcomed. To handle Big Data, the basics of programming language will be briefly delivered at the beginning and various Machine Learning Models will be illustrated with program code in a simple manner. No advanced statistical knowledge or programming skills is assumed.
This programme aims to provide students with the fundamental concepts and knowledge about Big Data and to develop their analytical skills by applying regression analysis and machine learning to solve business problems. It provides a practical approach for the students to apply regression and machine learning methodologies for analyzing big data and facilitating business and financial decision making.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Outline data preparation procedures and examine the process for handling Big Data;
- Interpret regression results and build business models using regression methods;
- Apply machine learning methodologies to perform analysis and forecasting;
- Evaluate various regression and machine learning methods as well as identify patterns for business and financial decision making.
1) Mr. Chung, is a specialist in Machine Learning, Statistical Analysis and Data Science. He received his Bachelor and Master Degree in Mathematics from the University of Toronto. He had been a Mathematics and Statistics lecturer in HKUSPACE Community College for more than six years. Since 2013, he became interested and has been doing research in Data Science and Machine Learning. Coming from an academic background, and then working as a machine learning engineer and data scientist, Mr. Chung likes to discuss Data Science and Machine Learning from both theoretical and practical perspectives.
2) Mr. Danny Chan, a passionate and highly committed data science and computer professional, Mr Chan sees the importance of lifelong learning and keeps himself abreast of the latest data technologies. He is highly proficient in the areas of visual analytics, business intelligence (BI) solutions, statistical analysis, data science, machine learning and cloud-based computing.
Mr Chan graduated from the Mathematics Department in CUHK. He is a seasoned data analytics professional with a strong background in IT, Retail and Supply Chain Industries. He obtained three master’s degrees from three universities, namely Risk Management Science from CUHK, Quantitative Analysis for Business from the City University of HK and Industrial Logistics Systems from Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
In 2021, Mr Chan accredited the title of Tableau Certified Associate Consultant. He is also a principal consultant for a data technology consulting services company, specialized in implementing BI solutions and report data automation.
3) Ms. Rowena Lai , is a practitioner in Business and Data Analytics. With a Bachelor of Science (Major in Mathematics and Minor in Economics) from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, two Master of Science degrees in both International Shipping and Transport Logistics as well as Global Supply Chain Management from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, she has worked with different industries on business analytics area. Ms Lai is currently working in a leading banking and leading various data analytics projects. She has also worked in an airline industry leader, and shipping industry on Revenue Management and Business Analytics. Thanks to her strong business and analytical sense together with her extended working exposure, she would like to share her academic knowledge and practical experience in Data Science and Analytics.
4) Dr. Roy Wong, has more than twenty-five years hands-on experience in design and development of Enterprise Architecture and Software. He is the Principal Consultant for E-Mars Intelligent Technology LTD now. He is full of enthusiasm in providing professional consulting services and AI related learning course for clients in China, Hong Kong and South Asia.
Dr. Wong received his Doctor of Engineering in The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2020. He is a specialist in computer vision system. Dr. Wong has one granted patent and one pending patent in this specific area. Both patents involve the innovation of machine learning. Before obtaining the Doctoral degree, Dr. Wong has five master's degree in Electronic and Information Engineering, Software Technology, Software Engineering, Signal Processing, Business Administration and Psychology.
|Application Code||2070-EP128A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- Kowloon East Campus
- Hong Kong Island Campus
(1) Data Preparation for Big Data
- Data Preparation Process: Data Cleansing, Data Integration, Data Evaluation
- Import Data
- Data Cleansing: Handle Missing Values, Recode and Rescale Variables, Separate into Training and Testing Sets
- Solution for handling Big Data: Hadoop, AWS, Azure
(2) Regression Analysis and Business Model Building
- Concepts and techniques of regression analysis
- Assumption Validation and Model Assessment by interpretation of statistical results
- Issues on analysis of financial Big Data and Cases on business model building
(3) Machine Learning and Forecasting for Big Data
- Supervised and unsupervised learning approaches: Decision Tree, Regression, Artificial Neural Networks, Cluster Analysis, Association Rule Mining
- Naïve Bayes Model for Machine Learning
- Time Series Model for forecasting and model building
- Multivariate Data Analysis (MDA)
- Natural Language Processing (NLP): Text Mining, Sentimental Analysis
- Case study of machine learning for business and financial decision making
February 2023 intake
|1||4 Feb 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|2||11 Feb 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|3||18 Feb 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|4||25 Feb 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|5||4 Mar 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
Remarks : Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
- a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
- an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with statistical background are preferred. Those with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8700 per programme (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence