Accounting & Finance FinTech and Financial Intelligence
There is a lot of valuable data and information available on the web pages...
The recent advances in Big Data and AI have major impact on the investment...
With continuous technological innovation and the rise of blockchain applications...
Suppose you are running a customer services department for a company....
Prescriptive Analytics is an essential branch of Business Analytics. The programme covers Python programming and data wrangling. Our professional lecturer will introduce financial time series analysis, simulation, model building, and decision optimization. Welcome to your online application!
This programme provides students with the essential knowledge of Big Data, the framework of Business Analytics as well as the usage of computer software to optimize the solution for effective decision making. The programme also covers the data preparation procedures, methods in handling big data using Python, techniques of Business Analytics and optimal solution for decision making. Apart from applying the knowledge to solve problems in their workplace, students may consider further their studies in Big Data, Data Analytics, Computer Science, Operation Research, FinTech and Quantitative Analysis in future.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- outline the applications of Big Data for business and Big Data handling process;
- identify data governance and security issues for Business Analytics;
- apply mathematical techniques and statistical methods for data analysis with business applications;
- use optimization methods to perform decision making for business and finance; and
- solve business and financial problems quantitatively using computer software.
|Application Code||2180-EP136A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
The programme consists of one module with three main parts :
(1) Framework of Business Analytics
- Introduction to Big Data and its Business applications
- Data governance, security and privacy for Business Analytics
- Preparation for data analytics: data collection, data extraction, data integration and data cleaning
- Data Wrangling using Python
(2) Techniques in Business Analytics
- Introduction to Mathematical and Statistical techniques for Data Analysis
- Python for Big Data and Statistical Analysis
- Financial Time Series Analysis
- Simulation and Model building for Business
- Applications for Business Analytics
(3) Leveraging Big Data into Optimization for Decision Making
- Optimizing decisions with Big Data using Python
- Applications of optimization in Business and Finance
- Decision Optimization for Business and Finance
- Assessment method: In-class exercises + group presentation
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who pass in continuous assessment and final assessment as well as achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
(1) Mr. Kevin Chung
Mr. Chung is a specialist in Machine Learning, Statistical Analysis and Data Science. He received his Bachelor and Master Degree in Mathematics from the University of Toronto. He had been a Mathematics and Statistics lecturer in HKUSPACE Community College for more than six years. Since 2013, he became interested and has been doing research in Data Science and Machine Learning. Coming from an academic background, and then working as a machine learning engineer and data scientist, Mr. Chung likes to discuss Data Science and Machine Learning from both theoretical and practical perspectives.
(2) Mr. Cyrus Tsui
Mr. Tsui have 10+ years of banking experience in both Hong Kong and London, specialize in valuation, PnL and Risk. Fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. In-depth understanding of complex financial products with programming ability, strong communication skill and solid experience in stakeholder management.
(3) Mr. Stephen Cheng
Mr. Stephen Cheng has over 30 Years of experience in the IT industry, with senior positions at international corporations such as Oracle, Hewlett Packard, Digital Equipment Corporation, Compaq Computer, Portal Software, Amdocs. Mr. Cheng’s broad industrial experience ranges from R&D, Software development, Consulting, Marketing, Pre-sales and Professional Services. Stephen has a strong track record in delivering successful projects worldwide: Swisscom, Vodafone, China Mobile, Smartone, HSBC, Telstra etc. Mr. Cheng holds a Bachelor of Arts (Physics) from Vassar College; MS and MBA from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Babson College in the US. Mr. Cheng is currently working on a project at the Hong Kong Chinese University, applying Machine Learning and AI techniques on Traditional Chinese Medicine.
(4) Dr. Garry Luk
Dr. Garry Luk is a Chartered IT Professional (CITP) of British Computer Society. His major research interest in Business system analysis and design, Big data implementation and application, Information management technology. He has been working on the higher education sector for more than 18 years for teaching and research support.
Moreover, Dr. Luk also as a part-time lecturer since 2004 for Vocational training council, School of Continuing Education Hong Kong Baptist University and Hong Kong University of Professional and Continuing Education on E-commerce, Business information system, System Analysis & Design. Dr. Luk will share and inspired Executives at various levels from his rich research and working experiences.
(5) Mr Jackie Liu
Mr. Jackie Liu is veteran quantitative strategist currently working in one of the top global investment banks. With over 10 years of industry experience covering equity, fixed income and currencies products, Mr. Liu has been driving some of the key initiatives on predictive analytics, trade optimization and risk system development globally. His knowledge of financial technology and data analytics were built on top of hands-on job experience as well as years of academic training. Mr. Liu has earned a Master’s degree with Distinction in Computer Science from The University of Hong Kong, after graduating from The Chinese University of Hong Kong with a major in Computer Science and a minor in Business Administration.
Apr 2024 intake
|1||20 Apr 24 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|2||27 Apr 24 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|4 May 24 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|4||11 May 24 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
|5||18 May 24 (Sat)||13:00-19:00|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change, and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Priority will be given to those applicants who have a mathematics, statistics, science, computer science, engineering, information technology or business analysis background.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee: $8800 per programme (* course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data, A.I. and Investing Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence Postgraduate Diploma in Finance and Data Analytics