Computing and Data Science Advanced Technology and Computing
The programme aims to equip students with:
1. knowledge of advanced communication skills;
2. IT-oriented skills and knowledge of structured programme development, web programming basics, system administration, information security, database design and development as well as computer networking that support business;
3. basic knowledge and skills in planning, analysis, design and implementation of information systems;
4. the state-of-the-art technologies in cloud computing, internetworking and wide area network; and
5. knowledge in object-oriented computer, cloud computing, and mobile application development for business.
This programme equips students with core theoretical and technical IT knowledge as well as skills to develop business applications and carry out IT supporting tasks for an organisation. Students can enhance their knowledge and skills in becoming a computer networking professional or computer programmer.
To echo the shortage of computer programmers and IT technical supports in recent years, this programme mainly focuses on enhancing students’ knowledge and skills both in computer application development and technical support for today’s business environment. To become IT professionals in Hong Kong, fundamentally, students need to acquire skills both in computer programming and computer networking. Students also need to gain knowledge in business information systems and the basics of banking services provided so that students can pave the way to work in the banking industry as an IT professional.
Sharpening Skills in Computer Programming
Students can pave the way to become a computer programmer to design and develop computer systems for businesses. This programme will equip students with the SQL programming to be used in database systems, Java programming, C++ programming, mobile application development, and design considerations of information systems.
Building Technical Skills in Computer Networking
This programme will also equip students with technical support skills such as system administration skills in Windows Server and Linux systems and core computer networking skills. Students can also consider taking the online courses of the Cisco Networking Academy at no additional charge to pave the way to become Cisco Certificated Networking Associates (CCNA). Students will get the certificates generated from the Cisco Networking Academy if they are able to complete the programme successfully.
Better Articulation Path to Top-up Degree Programmes
Graduates of this programme may gain direct entry into Year 1 or Year 2 of the part-time Bachelor Degree programme that HKU SPACE collaborates with Middlesex University and they may complete the Bachelor Degree programme in 2 years. Track record reveals that graduates were also admitted to top-up degrees offered in other tertiary institutions in Hong Kong. As a result, our graduates have comparatively wider choices of further study opportunities comparing with similar programmes offered in the market.
Empowering Job Seeking Opportunities in IT Industry
Most of the graduates were able to get an IT job either in computer programming or technical supports. They can also get promoted or change to a better job position after graduated from this programme. Also, to become information security professionals, students are required to obtain skills in computer programming and computer networking as these two core blocks served as the foundation to tackle computer security risk problems.
Duration of Study
Students will normally take 20 to 24 months to complete the programme if they are able to follow the study plan proposed by the programme team. However, if students are not able to complete the programme within 20 to 24 months due to works or other commitment, they can discuss with programme team to extend the study period to 4 years at most.
Holders of Certificate in Business Information Technology offered via SPACE may be eligible for one module exemption at most. Other applicants may also receive module exemption depending on the academic qualification of the applicant.
Today’s society is highly dependent on Information and Communication Technology (ICT). The business world is becoming more technological. No matter the size of the organization, technology could bring benefits to the business operation. Advanced Diploma in Business and Information Technology emphasizes the use of computing in a business context. It aims to prepare students with effective and practical business-orientated IT skills, such as system administration, database management, object-oriented programming, mobile application, computer networking as well as cloud computing.
Further Study Opportunity
Graduates are eligible for applying Year 2 direct entry for Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Networks programme, and BSc (Honours) Cyber Security programme.
Holders of Certificate in Business Information Technology, which is offered by HKU SPACE, may be eligible for course exemption of the "Business Information Systems".
|Application Code||2055-IT033A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Mon - Fri, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
The programme consists of 12 compulsory modules and the teaching hour for each module is 36 hours.
- Digital Transformation in Business
- Database Management Principles and Applications
- Introduction to Python Programming
- Switching and Routing Essentials
- Network Automation and Security Fundamentals
- Introduction to Big Data Applications and Analytics
- Business Information Security
- Structured and Object-oriented Computer Programming
- Mobile Application Development
- Cloud Computing for Business
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- English for Academic and Vocational Purposes
Tentative Class Schedule
|Start Date||The week of 21 November 2022 (Mon)|
Fortress Tower Learning Centre/
Island East Campus
- have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL or 2AS subjects, and HKCEE Level 2 in English Language* or equivalent; OR
- have gained in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination 5 subjects at Level 2, including English Language; OR
- hold a degree or diploma from a recognised institution; OR
- be aged at 21 or above with at least 1 year relevant work experience.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Total programme fee: HK$51,000 paid in 3 instalments (HK$17,600 for the first instalment and HK$16,700 for the last two instalments)
Note: All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology
|COURSE CODE 34F128733||FEES $47,300 paid in 3 installments||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Business Information Systems (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128744||FEES $3,300||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|System Administration for Business (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128752||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Systems Analysis and Design (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128760||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Database Management Principles and Applications (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128779||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|LAN Technologies (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128787||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Business Information Security (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128795||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Internetworking Technologies (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128809||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|WAN Technologies (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128817||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Structured and Object-Oriented Computer Programming (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128825||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Mobile Application Development (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128833||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Cloud Computing for Business (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z128841||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Advanced English (Module from Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z12885A||FEES $4,000||ENQUIRY 2587-3234|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.