Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesAdvanced Technology & Computing
Advanced Diploma in Business Information Technology
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 22 Oct 2018 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- 20 months to 4 years
- English supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
- Total programme fee: HK$46,200 paid in 3 instalments (HK$15,400 per instalment)
Note: All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
This programme equips students with core theoretical and technical IT knowledge as well as skills to develop business applications and carry out IT supporting tasks for an organisation. Students can enhance their knowledge and skills in becoming a computer networking professional or computer programmer.
To echo the shortage of computer programmers and IT technical supports in recent years, this programme mainly focuses on enhancing students’ knowledge and skills both in computer application development and technical support for today’s business environment. To become IT professionals in Hong Kong, fundamentally, students need to acquire skills both in computer programming and computer networking. Students also need to gain knowledge in business information systems and the basics of banking services provided so that students can pave the way to work in the banking industry as an IT professional.
Sharpening Skills in Computer Programming
Students can pave the way to become a computer programmer to design and develop computer systems for businesses. This programme will equip students with the SQL programming to be used in database systems, Java programming, C++ programming, mobile application development, and design considerations of information systems.
Building Technical Skills in Computer Networking
This programme will also equip students with technical support skills such as system administration skills in Windows Server and Linux systems and core computer networking skills. Students can also consider taking the online courses of the Cisco Networking Academy at no additional charge to pave the way to become Cisco Certificated Networking Associates (CCNA). Students will get the certificates generated from the Cisco Networking Academy if they are able to complete the programme successfully.
Better Articulation Path to Top-up Degree Programmes
Graduates of this programme may gain direct entry into Year 1 or Year 2 of the part-time Bachelor Degree programme that HKU SPACE collaborates with Middlesex University and they may complete the Bachelor Degree programme in 2 years. Track record reveals that graduates were also admitted to top-up degrees offered in other tertiary institutions in Hong Kong. As a result, our graduates have comparatively wider choices of further study opportunities comparing with similar programmes offered in the market.
Empowering Job Seeking Opportunities in IT Industry
Most of the graduates were able to get an IT job either in computer programming or technical supports. They can also get promoted or change to a better job position after graduated from this programme. Also, to become information security professionals, students are required to obtain skills in computer programming and computer networking as these two core blocks served as the foundation to tackle computer security risk problems.
Duration of Study
Students will normally take 20 to 24 months to complete the programme if they are able to follow the study plan proposed by the programme team. However, if students are not able to complete the programme within 20 to 24 months due to works or other commitment, they can discuss with programme team to extend the study period to 4 years at most.
Holders of Certificate in Business Information Technology offered via SPACE may be eligible for one module exemption at most. Other applicants may also receive module exemption depending on the academic qualification of the applicant.
In this programme, students have to study 12 modules. Each module is 36 hours. The programme includes the following modules:
- Business Information Systems
- Database Management Principles and Applications
- System Administration for Business
- LAN Technologies
- Internetworking Technologies
- WAN Technologies
- Business Information Security
- Structured and Object-oriented Computer Programming
- Mobile Application Development
- Introduction to Banking Services
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Advanced English
Further Study Opportunity
Graduates of this programme will be eligible to apply for the following part-time Bachelor Degree programme offered via HKU SPACE.
Middlesex University, UK
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Networks
Holders of Certificate in Business Information Technology, which is offered by HKU SPACE, may be eligible for course exemption of the "Business Information Systems".
- have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL or 2AS subjects, and HKCEE Level 2 in English Language* or equivalent; OR
- have gained in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination 5 subjects at Level 2, including English Language; OR
- hold a degree or diploma from a recognised institution; OR
- be aged at 21 or above with at least 1 year relevant work experience.
All applicants are required to attend an interview.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Total programme fee: HK$46,200 paid in 3 instalments (HK$15,400 per instalment)
Note: All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or MasterCard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
A. In person or by post
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment (for the course/programme has online enrolment only)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.