Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
This programme is designed to provide a sound introduction to craft beer. Students will be introduced to the basic ingredients of craft beer, key stages in craft beer brewing, different styles and flavours of craft beers produced by different countries. Through a combination of classroom learning and visits to two craft beer breweries and one craft beer bar, students will deepen their knowledge in the craft beer brewing processes in a real-life professional industry environment, and appreciate the emerging trends of the craft beer business in Hong Kong.
This programme is suitable for those beer enthusiasts for social and leisure purposes; as well as others who wish to work in the craft beer business, in different aspects ranging from production, marketing, retail, wholesale to hospitality.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the basic ingredients of craft beer;
- Illustrate the key stages in craft beer brewing process;
- Explain the style, flavour and quality of craft beer produced by different breweries;
- Outline the key principles and equipment involved in the storage and serving of craft beer; and
- Identify the emerging trends of craft beer and its related business opportunities.
WHY HKU SPACE?
- Students can taste at least 40 different styles of beers and craft beers from Hong Kong and other countries.
- Unique site visits to two local craft beer breweries, allowing students to understand the craft beer brewing procedures and taste fresh craft beers.
- In the visit to a craft beer bar, students will be able to compare different styles of craft beers and pair them with snacks in the bar.
- Our beer course is taught by a craft beer brewery owner and a craft beer judge.
- All beers are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized beer suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
This programme consists of 32 face-to-face teaching hours, including 21 Lecture hours and 11 hours for visits to craft beer breweries and craft beer bar (with food and craft beer pairing).
Brief introduction of Beer and Craft Beer
Basic Ingredients of Craft Beer
|3||Craft Beer Brewing Process (Hot Side)|
|4||Craft Beer Brewing Process (Cold Side)|
|5||Craft Beer Appreciation – Tasting Techniques|
Craft Beer Brewery – Startup and Operation
Craft Beer Business and Bar Operation
ASSESSMENT AND AWARDS
|Type of Assessment||Description|
Part A - Theory (70%):
Multiple Choice Questions and Short Answer Questions
Part B - Blind Tasting (30%):
Blind Tasting of 2 Craft Beers - Description and assessment of 2 Craft Beers and answer Short Questions
Note: Students may apply to resit the Exam if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (Craft Beer Brewing and Appreciation) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
|Start Date||01 Jun 2023 (Thu)|
Date and Time
1, 8, 15, 29 June; 13, 20, 27 July 2023 (Thursday)
7:00pm - 10:00pm
1st brewery visit: 6 July 2023 (Thursday)
1:00pm - 6:00pm
2nd brewery visit and bar visit: 3 August 2023 (Thursday)
TBC (daytime - 3 hours brewery visit & 3 hours bar visit)
Perry Lam & Thomas Lau
10 August 2023
7:00pm - 8:30pm
|Application Deadline||7 May 2023|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
Our beer Teacher
Mr. Perry Lam
Perry is a young entrepreneur and the Founder of H.K. Lovecraft, and he has great passion and in-depth knowledge towards craft beer. During his education at the Military College of South Carolina, U.S., he was able to experience the Craft Beer Movement in the U.S., where he developed his interest and passion for beer. He then went to the renowned institution, the World Brewing Academy, to learn everything about beer brewing and he was qualified as a Master Brewer in Germany and United States. At H.K. Lovecraft, Perry demonstrates his dedication, enthusiasm and professionalism for beer brewing, and he hopes to bring his learned art and craft of beer to Hong Kong, so that the Hong Kong community can enjoy fresh beer brewed locally.
Mr. Thomas Lau
Thomas is one of the pioneers of Craft Beer in Hong Kong and has been involved in the industry for over 10 years. He has been recognized by some media as the “Godfather of Craft Beer in Hong Kong” since he is a key member of the Craft Beer movement in recent years.
He established his first Craft Beer bar in town 11 years ago and eventually turned into an importer himself to bring in Craft Beers from all over the world. His establishment won numerous awards, including the ‘Top 10 Beer Bars in Asia’ nominated by CNN Travel, and it is the only one from Hong Kong to appear on that list!
In pursuit of his passion, Thomas not only travels the world to hone his knowledge but also he is the first person in Hong Kong to become the “Certified Beer Server” by the Cicerone Certification Program. Since 2014, he has gained recognition as an international beer judge representing Hong Kong, and judged in many international beer competitions in Japan, Taiwan, Mainland China, and Australia.
Thomas kept promoting craft beer in Hong Kong. He is a founding board member of the ‘Craft Beer Association of Hong Kong’ and also serves as its past president; and he also attended and planned regional and international conferences, such as the “Great Hong Kong Craft Beer Festival” at PMQ in 2018. Currently, he continues his beer journey by visiting various breweries, talking to industry people around the world whenever there is an opportunity, gaining new knowledges and making friends along the way.
Mr. Edwin Yang
Mr. Edwin Yang has spent over a decade in brewing, 8 of which in craft brewing in Singapore and Hong Kong, and another 3 years in building an industrial Greenfield in Cambodia. He has diverse experience in different aspects in craft beer brewing, e.g. equipment sourcing in China, conducting sensory workshops, judging at the competitive World Beer Cup (USA), barrel aging sour beers and heading a brewery Supply Chain. Edwin is always keen to share his knowledge with a new generation of brewers and beer enthusiasts. He holds a Diploma from the World Brewing Academy and is currently pursuing his Masters in Brewing with the University of Nottingham.
Mr. Kenneth Ho
is the co-founder of beer community Hong Kong Beer Geeks and board member of Hong Kong Craft Beer Association, an active member aiming to connect the beer industry with beer drinkers. Dedicated to spreading the craft beer culture, Kenneth has been teaching beer courses from appreciation, food pairing to Home brewing. He is also a certified BJCP Judge for different competitions in Hong Kong and beyond. He is also a co-owner of the local bottleshops Cave Beer Point and Craft Logic. With his spoiled palate in experience with thousands of good beers, he loves judging which helps connecting all beer lovers around the world.
Mr. Nick Ho
Nick is one of the key persons in craft beer industry in Hong Kong. He is the founder of “Beer Geeks Generation”, co-founder of beer community “HK Beer Geeks”. Also, he has been the board member of “Craft Beer Association of Hong Kong” for over 5 years. Dedicated to promoting the craft beer culture, Nick was an instructor of beer appreciation and food pairing workshops and was often invited to offer beer lectures. He is also the beer advisor of “Malt & Spirits Magazine” in 2017. Nick is a certified BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) Judge and he is also one of the beer panel chairs in Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition, with numerous judging experiences in many international beer competitions in Mainland China, Taiwan, and Singapore etc.
Applicants shall be aged at least 18 years or above, and do not have any health problems that make them unfit for beer tasting.
- HK$8,800 per programme inclusive of:
1. learning materials in English
2. at least 40 different types of beers and craft beers for tasting
3. visit to two craft beer breweries
4. visit to a craft beer bar (with food and craft beer pairing)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Craft Beer Brewing and Appreciation)
證書 (單元 : 手工啤酒之釀造及鑑賞)
|COURSE CODE 43C143013||FEES $8,800||ENQUIRY 2867-8483|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Craft Beer Brewing and Appreciation)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Application Code: 2090-1423AW
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Advanced Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Italian Wine and Food Appreciation) 證書(單元 : 日本清酒大師) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits) 日本梅酒實驗所 Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Introduction to Coffee and Brewing Skills) Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Barista Skills - Foundation and Intermediate) Foundation Study in Japanese Sake