Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
Apply now if you are interested ! Let's set Wine & Spirits as your new learning target in 2022!
This programme is designed to introduce students to essential and brand neutral whisky knowledge. It enables students to gain knowledge of the world of whisky by learning the history, production, categories, styles of whisky and the art of tasting and appreciating whisky. Principal whisky production countries and regions around the world will be introduced along with whisky tasting, so that students could be equipped with valuable sensory skills to unlock the flavour secrets within whisky from each region. This programme is suitable for those who wish to change careers, upskill or to simply get more enjoyment from and knowledge on the whiskies of the world.
intended learning outcomes:
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the history, categories and styles of whisky from different parts of the world;
- Identify key production processes and factors that can influence the characteristics and styles of whisky;
- State the principal producing countries and regions of whisky and explain their unique characteristics and styles; and
- Describe the sensory evaluation to tasting and appreciating whisky.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Students can taste at least 55 samples of whiskys during the course of their studies, and they are systematically arranged by classroom session.
- A unique site visit to a Whisky Bar, allowing students to have direct and first-hand experience inside a Whisky Bar, and have the opportunity to blend and craft their own whisky cocktail!
- Our whisky course is taught by qualified whisky professional who is knowledgeable in whisky around the world.
- Our whisky course will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All whisky are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the programme.
- Small class-size in this whisky programme brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
This programme consists of 36 face-to-face teaching hours, and they are structured into (1) eleven 3-hour sessions with 4-6 samples of whisky tasting in each session as well as (2) a site visit to a Whisky Bar. In this programme, students will taste at least 55 samples of whisky, including blended, single malt, blended malt, single grain, blended grain whisky, as well as whisky from different producing places / countries such as Scotland, Ireland, Japan, Taiwan, Canada, Australia, etc.
Key techniques of whisky appreciation
History, categories and styles of whisky from different parts of the world
Production processes of whisky and equipment used
|4||Principal producing countries and regions of whisky
(e.g. Scotland, Ireland, America, Asia and the rest of the world)
The leading whisky producing regions of Scotland
|6||Factors affecting the taste and style of whisky|
Food and beverage in the world of whisky
Assessment and Awards
|Assessment Type and Weighting||
Assessment Format and Duration
Multiple Choice Questions on both theory and whisky blind tasting
50% and above
Note: Students may apply to resit the Test if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation) within the HKU system via HKU SPACE. For those students who cannot pass the assessments but have completed at least 70% of attendance, a Statement of Attendance will be issued to students.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine & spirits programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
- 36 hours
Island East Campus
IEC901 (Wine Room)
Date and Time
(Medium of Instruction)
5, 12, 19, 26 October;
2, 9, 23, 30 November;
7, 14, 21 December 2022
Bar Visit: 19 November 2022
(English supplemented with Cantonese)
4 January 2023 (7:00pm)
|2 October 2022|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
OUR whisky TEACHER
Mr. Eddie Chui
Eddie is a Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) accredited by the Society of Wine Educators; as well as the Certified Whisky Ambassador trainer from the UK.
Eddie has been traveling to different wine regions around the world, including France, California, Australia, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, China, Spain, Germany, Italy, Romania, South Africa, New Zealand, etc..., and he has visited different wineries and vineyards. He also travelled to Scotland, Cognac, Armagnac, etc… to visit whisky distilleries and other spirits producers. He believes that every country could produce outstanding wines, and he likes to explore new wine regions.
Eddie gave speeches and seminars in various wine, whisky and spirits exhibitions and events, and was also invited to be a judge in different local and international wine and spirits competitions and tastings, including HKIWSC, World Whisky Awards, etc.
After years as a wine lover, Eddie became a true connoisseur, wine writer and critics. He started up the Cru Magazine with another wine elite in 2010, working as the Editorial Director (Chief Editor), aiming to provide coverage in wine, spirits, cultural and luxury lifestyle. In 2016, he started collaborating with international publication Whisky Magazine from UK to bring Whisky Magazine HK and Macau Edition as well as the famous Whisky Live HK show to Hong Kong.
Applicants shall be aged at least 18 years or above, and do not have any health problems that make them unfit for whisky tasting.
- HK$16,800 per programme inclusive of:
1.) Learning materials in English
2.) at least 55 different types of whisky for tasting
3.) 3-hour Whisky Bar Visit with whisky blending experience
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation)
|COURSE CODE 43C136467||FEES $16,800||ENQUIRY 2520-4607|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation)
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee