Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund (CEF)*
此課程已列入持續進修基金 CEF 認可課程*
This programme is designed to provide a syllabus with a range and depth that offers a clear and concise overview of the world of spirits including bars and cocktails; principal spirits categories and their defining characteristics; main spirits production process and their labelling; and the equipment used in the storage and service of spirits. The syllabus is structured in a way that allows progressive and systematic learning by students, with the first few sessions covering the qualification award of ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits’; and the remaining sessions are used to introduce a higher level spirits qualification ‘WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits’ in order to service the demand for more in-depth knowledge and understanding of spirits.
The spirits industry is inextricably linked to bar and cocktail culture, and one of the unique features of this programme is to give students an insight into the families of cocktail and the service. The content of this session will be ‘brought alive’ through a site-visit to a cocktail bar. Students will have the opportunity to recognise the most important bar equipment, glassware and non-alcoholic cocktail ingredients, as well as learn how they are used. Demonstration and procedures of making different types of cocktails will be explained in this site visit. Students will learn why the classic cocktail recipes work, and be able to explain cocktail balance. More importantly, students may be able to talk to a bartender for experience-sharing, and craft a glass of their own cocktail inside the bar and enjoy!
Graduates of this programme will take away with an understanding of the underlying principles of spirits production and their defining characteristics, this will allow students to be capable of adding value either in hospitality or retail as they will be able to confidently offer insight and advice on the use and service of spirits, and make informed recommendations to customers when selecting spirits and liqueurs to meet their taste and price requirements.
intended learning outcomes:
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- List and state the purpose of the main production processes, and main production factors that determine types of spirits;
- Name the principal categories and types of spirit, and describe their defining characteristics;
- llustrate how the principal types of flavoured spirits, liqueurs and aromatized wines are produced and labelled, and describe their key characteristics;
- State and recognise the common equipment used and the principles involved in the storage and service of spirits; and
- Identify the important ingredients used to make cocktails, and explain how the key types of cocktails are made.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Students can taste at least 35 samples of spirits during the course of their studies, and they are systematically arranged by classroom session.
- A unique site visit to a cocktail bar, allowing students to have direct and first-hand experience inside a cocktail bar, and have the opportunity to craft their own cocktail!
- Our spirits courses are taught by qualified spirits professionals who are also experienced in spirits education. They are WSET approved educators.
- Our spirits courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All spirits are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the programme.
- All spirits are tasted according to WSET requirements as benchmarks samples from around the world.
- Small class-size in this spirits programme brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
The programme consists of 30 face-to-face teaching hours, 3 hours in each session with spirits tasting, and they are structured into 10 sessions with the following key topics. An additional session (1 hour) for Test 2 will usually be scheduled within two weeks after the last session.
Spirits production processes and main production factors of spirits
Types, characteristics and styles of spirits
Principal types of flavoured spirits, liqueurs and aromatized wines
|4||Common equipment used and the storage of spirits|
Principles involved in the service of spirits
Site visit to a cocktail bar
you will learn different types of spirits:
Textbooks (included in the course fee) & Specification
Study Guide for WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits
Student study pack for WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits
|Level 1 Award in Spirits Programme Specification|
|Level 2 Award in Spirits Programme Specification|
Assessment and Awards
There are two pieces of assessments in this programme, Test 1 and Test 2, in Multiple Choice question formats. Setting and marking of the two Test papers are conducted by WSET.
Students have to obtain ‘Pass’ on BOTH Test 1 (50%) and Test 2 (50%) for completion of this Certificate for Module programme. Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE the Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits) (證書(單元 : 烈酒中級鑑賞)).
|Assessment Type and Weighting||
Assessment Format and Duration
|Test 1 (50%)||30 Multiple Choice Questions (45 minutes)||
70% and above
|Test 2 (50%)||50 Multiple Choice Questions (60 minutes)||55% and above|
Note: Students may apply to resit the Test if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee.
In addition, graduates of this programme with a mark of 70% attained in Test 1 will be awarded by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) a WSET certificate ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits’ and lapel pin.
Graduates of this programme with a mark of 55% attained in Test 2 will be awarded by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) a WSET certificate ‘WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits’ and lapel pin. Graduates will also be able to use the associated WSET certified logo on their name cards.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Life Membership Fee is HK$200 to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine/spirits/sake/beer programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
|Application Code||2160-1280AW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||04 Dec 2023 (Mon)|
|Apply Online Now|
- 30 hours
Modules & Class Details
Date and Time
(Medium of Instruction)
4, 11, 18 December 2023;
8, 15, 22, 29 January;
5, 19 February 2024
Bar visit date:
24 Feb/2 Mar 2024
WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits
8 January 2024
WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits
11 March 2024
|IEC||10 November 2023|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
- Re-assessment fee for WSET Level 1 Awards: HKD700，Re-assessment fee for WSET Level 2 Awards: HKD950
OUR SPIRITS TUTOR
Mr. Ron Taylor
Ron, born in Scotland and a resident of Hong Kong, has been studying wine & spirits for over 30 years and lecturing for at least 12 of those years.
A Certified Educator of the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), Associate of the Institute of Wine & Spirits (AIWS), a Certified Sommelier from the Court of Master Sommeliers, Certified Wine Specialist and member of the Society of Wine Educators, Member of the Association of Wine Educators, Guild of Sommeliers and the Hong Kong Wine Society.
He has taught consumers, the F&B industry and staff of leading Hong Kong wine companies in both WSET courses and bespoke material.
Mr. Chris So
Chris has great passion in wine and has been teaching about wine for the past 10 years. To endeavor professional and highest wine knowledge, he is studying the Master of Wine (MW) Programme after gaining the WSET Level 4 Diploma. Chris passed the MW practical tasting papers on his first attempt in 2012 and is now on the final stage working on his MW Research Paper. Chris is also a WSET Certified Educator, a member of Greater China Wine Critics Association, an associate member of the Institute of Wines and Spirits (AIWS) and a judge member of The Hong Kong Wine Judges Association.
Chris is a judge for the “Decanter Asia Wine Awards", "Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition” and “Everyday Bordeaux”. To strengthen his wine knowledge, Chris has travelled extensively to all major wine regions around the world including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Japan and China. Chris was awarded the "Outstanding Teacher Award of HKUSPACE College of Business & Finance 2018/19" for his teaching excellence.
Mr. Jack Lun
Jack has over 20 years’ solid experience in Wines & Spirits and Luxury Retail industries. He is always keen to share his passion and knowledge on Wines & Spirits to people through a lot of training and educational tasting events.
He is a Certified Educator of the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET), Certified Sherry Educator (Formador Homologado del Vino de Jerez) of Sherry Academy, French Wine Scholar; and he is also a holder of New Zealand Wine Professional Level 2 Certification and Chief Whisky Society Level 2 Award in Whisky.
Ms Sky HUO
Sky HUO is a Certified Educator of WSET, and a ‘WSET Level 3 Award in Spirits’ certificate holder. She pursued her dreams to work in the hospitality industry after graduation from School of Communication in HKBU. She was awarded ‘Top 25 Bartenders of Drinks World Asia HK’ in 2014, which inspired her to work abroad for several World 50 Best Bars in Australia and UK. Afterwards, She returned to HK to manage The Sea, sister bar of The Old Man, which is the best bar in Asia of 2019. In 2020, she was appointed as the Spirits Advocate for Nikka Whisky Hong Kong, and she has shared spirits and whisky knowledge to a wider audience.
HKU SPACE is one of the Approved Programme Providers (APPs) of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET), and this programme prepares students to attempt and complete TWO WSET spirits qualifications, namely ‘WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits’ and ‘WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits’. This programme fully adopts all the learning outcomes, curriculum, specification, educational materials including textbooks, workbook and PowerPoints designed and provided by WSET, so that students exactly know the examination requirements and assessment criteria.
Tasting is a vital part of the WSET qualifications. Students must make themselves familiar with the WSET level 1 and level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT). Our experienced teacher will base on the WSET recommended tasting samples and choose spirits samples that are both very good and very typical of the required styles for students to taste. Students will have an opportunity to taste at least 35 different categories and styles of spirits during the entire programme, such as Cognacs, Whisky, Rum, Tequila and Mezcal, Vodka, and Gin.
WHAT is Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET)?
WSET was founded in 1969 to provide high quality education and training in wines and spirits. Since then, WSET has grown into the foremost international body in the field of wines and spirits education, with a suite of sought-after qualifications. WSET qualifications are recognised internationally and are now represented in over 70 countries through the world. WSET Awards is recognised as an awarding body by the English regulator for qualifications, examinations and assessments, Ofqual. It also operates a quality management system that complies with ISO 9001:2015, and is a member of the UK’s Federation of Awarding Bodies. For details regarding WSET, please visit http://www.wsetglobal.com/.
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants shall be aged at least 18 years or above, and do not have any health problems that made them unfit for wines or spirits tasting.
Note: Applicants who have already passed WSET Level 1/2 in Spirits should approach Programme Team before application.
- HK$10,500 per programme inclusive of:
1.) Study Guide for WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits in English
2.) Student study pack for WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits in English
3.) at least 35 Spirits for tasting
4.) Site visit to a cocktail bar
5.) Test Fee for WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits qualification
6.) Test Fee for WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits qualification
7.) WSET certificates & pins
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits)
|COURSE CODE 43C127670||FEES $9,900||ENQUIRY 2520-4607|
Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund (CEF)*
此課程已列入持續進修基金 CEF 認可課程
For more details, please visit HKU SPACE website: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/cef/application-procedures
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits)
Online Application Apply NowEnrolment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee