Accounting & Finance Investment Management
Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
- HK$7000 per module
This module is designed to enable participants on understanding the major strategic issues involved in M&A process. The module will focus on business oriented considerations in any M&A activities. At the end of the module, the participants are expected to have developed a sense of appreciation of the significant issues affecting the success and failure of M&A.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
Days / Time
- Saturday, 10:00am - 5:30pm
- 30 hours per module
Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition (Course Content)
This course is designed to provide students with an overview of the various aspects of the merger and acquisition (M&A) process. Topic include M&A strategic, M&A transaction process, deal structuring, post-merger integration, and cross-border M&A.
Lecturer: Dr. Nichols Pang
Dr. Nichols Pang is the deputy CEO and Executive Director of a financial services group which , among other credentials, holds SFC type 1, 4 and 9 regulated-activity licenses – and a trustee license – issued under HK Law Cap 29. Dr Pang is an investment veteran with decades of experience built upon his services in buy-side, sell-side, and publicly-listed entities. Initially working as an investment analyst in major investment banks, followed by senior management roles in various financial institutions, he currently manages teams of investment professionals covering a wide spectrum of financial services for blue-chip clients. Along with a doctoral graduate in business, Dr Pang is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an HKMAAL-accredited general mediator and a STEP affiliate. Dr Pang enjoys reading and has written three books on investments to share his vast knowledge with his readers.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- identify the motives underlying a takeover/merger deal;
- explain the reasons why a company repurchases its own shares;
- examine causes and consequences of takeovers;
- debate the role of the Corporate Raider;
- examine causes and consequences of Management Buyouts;
- appreciate issues of Executive Compensation and Corporate Ownership;
- understand Corporate Governance.
Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
10 Jul 21
24 Jul 21
|31 Jul 21||
|7 Aug 21||
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least three years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$7000 per module (Course fees are non-refundable and subject to change without prior notice.)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicant should submit the following:
1. Application form
2. Course fee HK$7000
3. Copy of academic/ professional qualification
4. HKID copyPayment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.