Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
Wine drinking is becoming more common a hobby, a social activity, and more importantly a business culture. Basic knowledge about wine, wine appreciation and wine culture are becoming essential. This three-hour introductory course provides you with the basic yet crucial skills to wine appreciation. Technical knowledge and skills to approach, to taste and to evaluate wine will be introduced.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Our wine courses are taught by qualified wine professionals who are also experienced in wine education.
- Our wine courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All wines are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized wine suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
- All wines are tasted according to WSET requirements as benchmarks samples from around the world.
- Small class-size in all wine courses brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
This wine appreciation session is designated to provide students with the most sophisticated, dedicated and up-to-date knowledge to approach, appreciate and evaluate wine. The programme will emphasise not only on techniques but also cultures and ethos related to wine appreciation. A selection of wines will be utilized for tasting and illustration purposes throughout the course.
- What is wine
- The Making of wine
- Basic Tasting Technique
- Wine Labels and Regions
In JANUARY classes, you will be able to taste:
- New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- Burgundian Chardonnay
- German Riesling
- Pinot Noir
- Argentine Cabernet Sauvignon Blend
* Wines are subject to stock availability.
- 1 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Island East Campus
IEC 901 (Wine Room)
Date and Time
15 January 2022 (Saturday)
|Susanna Poon||3 January 2022|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
OUR WINE TUTORS
Mr. Chris So
Chris has great passion in wine and has been teaching about wine for the past 8 years. To endeavor professional and highest wine knowledge, he is studying the Master of Wine (MW) Programme after gaining the WSET Level 4 Diploma. Chris passed the MW practical tasting papers on his first attempt in 2012 and is now on the final stage working on his MW Research Paper. Chris is also a WSET Certified Educator, a member of Greater China Wine Critics Association, an associate member of the Institute of Wines and Spirits (AIWS) and a judge member of The Hong Kong Wine Judges Association.
Chris is a judge for the “Decanter Asia Wine Awards", "Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition” and “Everyday Bordeaux”. To strengthen his wine knowledge, Chris has travelled extensively to all major wine regions around the world including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Japan and China.
Ms. Jennifer Luk
Passionate about wines, Jennifer has been working as wine event organiser and wine consultant and experienced in wine education. Focused on innovation and experiential learning, she hosts Hong Kong’s only wine tasting in complete darkness - ‘Wine Tasting in the Dark’ - to bring completely new and unique experience to wine lovers and wine learners.
Jennifer attained sommelier introductory certification from Court of Master Sommelier and Advanced Certificate from WSET. In 2010, she was awarded the WSET/Wine Australia Travel Scholarship, as the only representative from China, Hong Kong and Macau to attend master-class in Australia. She is also a freelance wine & travel columnist for various media corporations. In recent years, she has fallen in love with running marathon in wine regions - a special way to broaden her wine traveller experience.
Ms. Susanna Poon
Susanna is a Certified WSET Educator and WSET Diploma candidate. Her passion and courtesy in wine led her to various wine qualifications such as Champagne Expert (Distinction), Italian Wine Mastero. She also did the Master of Champagne and Master of Rhone study tour to deepen her wine-making knowledge.
Susanna is the current HKU SPACE Wine Alumni President. She represented the HKU SPACE Wine team in entering the Left Bank Bordeaux Cup Blinding Tasting Competition in 2016 and 2017.
Actively devoted to the HK Wine Community, Susanna is the Committee and Dame Chealiver of Ordre des Coteaux de Champagne (OCC) HK Chapter and member of Commanderie de Bordeaux and The Order of Knights of the Truffle and Wines of Alba. She is also appointed as the judge of Wine Luxe International Awards. Susanna and her OCC team won the First Blind Tasting Challenge in HK organized by the HK Wine Society in 2021.
- Be aged 18 or above;
- Not suffer from any health problems that are unfit for tasting wine in class.
- Course Fee : HK$670 per programme
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee