Social SciencesMedia & Communication
Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Digital and Social Media Communication
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 16 Oct 2021 (Sat)
- Around 12 months
- English (except for Module 3 in which apart from English, Cantonese will also be adopted in teaching part of the module with materials in Chinese)
- Course Fee
- HK$38,800 per programme
The programme aims to offer an interdisciplinary exploration of the contemporary development in the social media and digital communication in the local and global contexts.
The programme examines the impacts and applications of social media in influencing corporate communication, advertising, public relations, entertainment and commerce. It focuses on developing the students’ imaginative and analytical abilities as well as the communication and practical skills across diverse platforms and environments. It challenges and encourages students to extend and explore their professional practices and become innovative and resourceful leaders in the rapidly evolving media and communication industries.
This programme is designed for:
- Strategic Planners and Content Developers in digital media, PR and advertising agencies;
- Business owners;
- Sales, Management, Marketing, Executives and Managers in public utility organizations, private companies, Government Departments and NGOs, who are involved in digital and social media communication campaigns/initiatives;
- People in multiple roles including developing digital and social media campaigns for their organizational and product brands;
- Anyone pursuing a career in the digital and social media industries
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Cultivate advanced knowledge of digital and social media trends; the key concepts of the media platforms and their applications in corporate communication.
- Critically analyse and create the images and visual components in relation to narrative structure and storytelling.
- Devise and develop comprehensive advertising and communication campaigns with cutting-edge techniques and online platforms.
- Create, adapt, craft and deliver customized social media content, engage audiences to their message and present the ideas in a professional and compelling manner.
- Cultivate the knowledge and perspective for corporate brand building online and offline.
- Conduct digital research, design and create effective social media campaigns using a variety of platforms to evaluate their impacts and performance.
Module Intended Learning Outcomes
1. Develop critical understanding and awareness of the basic visual components and visual structure;
1. Write clearly, precisely and accurately with style for specific audiences;
1. Scrutinize the fundamentals of advertising and PR in new media;
1. Cultivate and extend the knowledge and perspective for brand building and reputation management in today’s fast-changing environment;
1. Critically examine the interactivity and narrative as well as theories and specificities of digital media;
2. Critically evaluate the current social media marketing practice at a global level, and identify ways to increase performances;
3. Identify and analyse effective social media marketing strategies, tools and development approaches for building brand awareness, increasing market share and entering new markets;
4. Scrutinize the relationship between the design, deployment and implementation of social media marketing strategies;
5. Design and create reflective and creative social media campaigns that are shaped by social, economic, political and cultural factors.
Students who have successfully completed module 1 to module 7 will be awarded "Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Digital and Social Media Communication" within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
As former Managing Director of TBWA\Hakuhodo Guang Zhou (affiliate agency of global communication network Omnicom), Renée has 25+ years of experience in the fields of media communication, branding, advertising and event management, both agency and corporate sides. With the TV programme production knowledge in her early stage of career, and subsequent senior management roles in various global communication networks including Nitro Group, Publicis and Asatsu-DK, Renée is one of the well-respected media communication expert in the industry. The brands she had worked with include Nissan Automobiles, Unilever, Mitsubishi Motors, Hewlett Packard, Sony Ericsson, Kodak and Marlboro, Hong Kong Jockey Club and Emperor Watch and Jewelry, to name just a few. In the last six years Renée had worked as Brand Strategy Consultant. Her projects included a CBD development in Tianjin, China; the rebranding of Cathay Pacific and the pitch for Vitasoy International.
Wendy Kwan is a leading trainer in PR and communications. She specializes in strategic communication, presentation skills and writing for the media. With 16 years of training experience, she has delivered more than 400 courses to business executives. She has led on-camera simulation workshops for government departments such as the Hong Kong Observatory and the Treasury. Her courses are favourably rated by participants as practical and inspiring. She has also been invited to host public seminars in the annual Hong Kong Education and Careers Expo. Apart from business training, Wendy also teaches communication courses at the Hong Kong Baptist University and HKU Space. She previously held senior positions in corporations including Standard Chartered Bank, PCCW and MTR. Wendy graduated from the University of Hong Kong. She obtained her MBA from the University of Leicester and was awarded a teaching certificate from the University of Cambridge.
Sandy began her advertising career with Grey China working on the British-American Tobacco account — a baptism by fire, as tobacco was one of the most restricted product categories in China at the time. After 5 years, she returned to Hong Kong and worked with some of the city’s most notable agencies and the world’s most iconic brands like Nokia, Volkswagen, Cheung Kong Holdings, Canon, IBM, Hongkong Land, MTR Hong Kong, Hong Kong Jockey Club, Huawei, Wyeth and KFC.
Specialties: Registered Career Coach, RCaC,
Janice Lui is one of the few people in Hong Kong that have flourish cross media experience. She currently serves as Editor and Anchor of Hong Kong Economic Journal. Duties include producing & anchoring online content.
Founder of Avail Media Creative, has more than 12 years of experience in producing social contents for many various brands in their connections and engagement. She has full knowledge of the digital platforms (such as Facebook, Instagram, Telegram, WhatsApp etc.) and collaboration with KOL which is an important trend for the digital and social media.
Mr Poon is a multimedia production professional. He runs his own agency, directing and producing in-house videos and films for vast range of brands and multinational corporations such as HSBC, Citibank, Bank of China, Bank of Communication, Shanghai Commercial Bank, Hutchison, Mercedes-Benz, Asia Hollywood, Chow Tai Fook and Hong Kong Jockey Club.
Mr. Poon earned his Master of Science in Multimedia and Entertainment technology from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Bachelor of Computer Science from Victoria University of Technology. Poon has been teaching part-time in various higher education institutions for years.
With over 13 years experience in advertising industry after her graduation with a Master of Science in Multimedia and Entertainment Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. She worked in a few 4As agencies serving a wide range of premium brands such as MasterCard, Cheung Kong Properties, Japan National Tourism Organization, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Kao skincare, Nissin, GU apparel and Daikin air conditioning. She started her SLASH career in 2017, she worked as a creative director, a social media professional, a video producer and a voiceover. Variety is the spice of life, she is committed to continuously unleash her multiple identities.
Mr. Wong possesses over 20 years of global strategic marketing, PR and corporate communication leadership experiences gained from MNCs partnering with senior leadership team to accomplish business objectives.
A member of the global communication leadership team and regional spokesperson with proven track records in leading go-to-market communications campaigns to engage stakeholders. Experience in a matrix, multi-national and multi-cultural MNCs to build brand leadership and steer Corporate Marketing and Communications across Asia Pacific region with extensive networks in Greater China and ASEAN countries.
Responsible for content strategy, development of corporate messages, and cascade leadership communications on online and offline communication channels. Full-spectrum coverage on ATL and BTL communications, public relations, CSR, corporate brand building, government and trade association relations, media management and crisis communications.
With over a decade in agency / consultancy field, Joe is a constant enthusiast in incorporating his experience and knowledge of digital innovations, social media trends and consumer behavioural understanding to deliver the best in digital marketing.
Saturdays and/or Sundays
2:00-5:00 p.m. and/or 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Hong Kong Island side Learning Centres
Special notes to ADMITTED students: To facilitate students' learning, students are expected to have their own Macintosh computers and mobile devices for Visual Communication and Digital Storytelling modules.
Applicants shall hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university;
If the degree is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
i. an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
ii. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL,or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
iii. HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
iv. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
v. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other equivalent qualification(s) and at least 5 years of relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit. They must also satisfy the English requirement listed above.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$38,800 per programme (To be paid in two instalments, non-refundable and subject to change without prior notice. Admin charge applies to course withdrawal.)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Digital and Social Media Communication
|COURSE CODE 40G124171||FEES $38,800||ENQUIRY 3762-0868|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Digital and Social Media Communication
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit the filled HKU SPACE application form (SF26) with:
- copies of academic qualifications;
- 500-word personal statement (outlining your education, training and working experience and saying how you think will benefit from the programme);
- copy of HKID card/passport;
- a crossed cheque for $150 application fee (non-refundable) made payable to "HKU SPACE".
- In Person
To any of our enrolment centres (https://hkuspace.hku.hk/learning-centre); or
- By Post
Mail to Ms Carrie Chan at Room 1109, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque.
Course applicants, who are alumni and holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, may enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.