Arts, Design & Culture Arts Management
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- apply their knowledge and skills in contemporary photographic criticism and practice;
- critically review and evaluate items of photographic artwork; and
- develop their own creative style and genres of photography.
This 1-year part-time face-to-face programme consists of 4 modules:
No. of Credits
History and Criticism of Photography
Topics include: History of photography; Evolution of technology which affects photographic standard; Social political contents in photographic images; From subjectivity to objectivity, new vision and new genres of photography; Digital evolution and its influence on the traditional paradigm of photography
Contemporary Issues in Photography
Topics include: The reading of photographs; The relationship of Modern Art Movements and photography; Post-modernism currents; Photography in the new millennium; Selected issues in contemporary photography
Paradigm of Photography
Topics include: Early photographic processes, from Daguerreotype to Dry Plate; Celluloid film in the Modern Age; Color film from 1940’s; Revolution of digital tools in the New Millennium; Overview of cameras
Students will work on self-initiated projects supplemented by workshops, seminars, tutorials and critique sessions.
Apart from lectures, students will attend field trip, seminars, workshops and tutorials.
An exhibition of graduate works, one of the non-lecture activities for module ‘Graduate Project’, will be organized at the end of the programme. (Exhibition will be held every 2 years.)
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 7.00-10.00pm
- Saturday, 2.00-5.00pm
Graduates of Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography are eligible to apply for the MFA Photography offered by the University of Ulster, with an exemption of 60 credits, out of the total 240 credits. Students will only be required to complete 180 credits in the programme for the MFA qualification; 120 credits for the MA qualification.
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$41,580 (to be paid by 2 installments)
- Applicants shall:
i) hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university;
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- A score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
ii) have experience and knowledge in photography.
- Applicants are required to attend an interview and present a portfolio of their photographic works.
- Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Graduate Project (Module from the Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography Programme)
|COURSE CODE 28Z08841-5||FEES $10,395||ENQUIRY 3762-0086|
|History and Criticism of Photography (Module from the Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography)
|COURSE CODE 32Z147816||FEES $10,395||ENQUIRY 3762-0086|
|Contemporary Issues in Photography (Module from the Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography)
|COURSE CODE 32Z147824||FEES $10,395||ENQUIRY 3762-0086|
|Paradigm of Photography (Module from the Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography)
|COURSE CODE 32Z147832||FEES $10,395||ENQUIRY 3762-0086|
Continuing Education Fund
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Contemporary Photography
Please submit your application online. Alternatively, you can submit the following documents to any of our enrolment centres.
- Duly completed HKU SPACE Application for Enrolment Form SF26;
- A copy of HKID Card;
- Copies of certificates and transcripts of academic/professional qualifications; and
- A crossed cheque of HK$200 made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ as application fee (non-refundable)
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.