Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesAdvanced Technology & Computing
Executive Certificate in Records Management
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 03 Dec 2019 (Tue)
- 6 months
- Course Fee
Records are an essential tool and valuable resources for good business and efficient administration.
Every organization needs records. Records are created, kept and managed for many purposes: as a source of business information; as a basis for decision making; as records of policy or precedents; for accountability and auditing purposes; as evidence of legal rights and obligations, etc.
The work of records management is responsible for the systematic control of the creation, maintenance, use, and disposition of current records. Records are not just instruments used to accomplish the work of an organization, they are also vital resources, like manpower, money and property, without which no organization can function properly. Similarly, as resources, they require constant managerial attention and management with professional expertise.
This programme helps business firms and organizations to plan and set up proper policies, procedures and systems to manage their organizational records in diverse formats or media to support their corporate and business needs. Administrators and officers responsible for strategic planning, resources allocation, office management and information management work will find this course most relevant.
- Records Management Methodologies
- Active and Inactive Records Management
- Records Classification and Arrangement
- Electronic Records Management
- Planning and Implementing Records Management Program
Certificate will be awarded to students who have successfully satisfied assessments (e.g. class exercises and group project) and attendance requirements (70%).
The Chief Lecturer of this Executive Certificate course is Professor Simon F. K. CHU, administrator and educator of great renown in records and archives management. Professor CHU was educated in Hong Kong, Canada and UK where he obtained his degrees in History (BA and MA), Information Science (MLIS) and Law (LLB). Professor CHU is the former Director of the Hong Kong Government Records Services and has worked for the Services for over 20 years. He has also held executive positions in a number of local, national and international committees responsible for archival and heritage programs in UNESCO, International Council on Archives (ICA), East Asian Regional Branch of ICA (EASTICA), Chinese National Documentary Heritage Program, etc.. Professor CHU is currently Adjunct Associate Professor of the Hong Kong University and the Chinese University of Hong Kong; he is also Honorary Course Director and Adjunct Associate Professor of HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education.
Days / Time
- Tuesday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- 20 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre
- Simon Chu
Applicants should hold :
- a bachelor's degree; or
- an associate degree/higher diploma or equivalent, with at least 2 years of work experience
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merits.
- Course Fee : HK$10,600
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- All applicants are required to complete one Application Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to Ms Alice Wong, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
- Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.