Architecture, Environment & Housing Digital Building Design
This programme, building on our foundational Certified Training for Rhinoceros Level 1 and 2 short courses, will be an intermediate level training to provide the comprehensive knowledge and technique required for parametric modelling. In the long run, this programme will also enable graduates to pursue more advanced architectural digital practices, such as real-time physics simulator for building structure (Kangaroo), virtual environment simulator (VR), computer-controlled fabrication (Laser cutting, CNC and 3D printing), and free form design etc.
This programme aims to introduce the fundamental concepts and essential skill-building workflows for students to effectively use Grasshopper in Rhinoceros to generate algorithmic 3D model for parametric design.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
ILO1. Interpret the fundamental concepts and theoretical knowledge of parametric modelling;
ILO2. Summarize the workflow of Grasshopper in Rhinoceros;
ILO3. Explain the fundamentals of data matching in Grasshopper;
ILO4. Organise, manipulate and manage complex data in Grasshopper;
ILO5. Troubleshoot and resolve problems in the process of parametric modelling with autonomy;
ILO6. Produce complex parametric models.
* While we endeavour to keep our information up-to-date, information within this website is subject to change from time to time.
* Applicants will receive a confirmation email 2 - 3 days before the course starts.
|Application Code||2155-AS012A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Modules & Class Details
The programme consists of the following topics within the curriculum.
- GH Definition Interface and Samples
- Data Sets and Mathematic Function
- Data Matching
- Data Types and Their Parameters
- Transformation Methods and Vector Geometry
- Surface Proliferation
- Data Tree Structure
- Advanced Data Matching
- Introduction to PathMapper
- Colour Analysis
- Case Studies
A "Certificate for Module (Parametric Modeling with Grasshopper in Rhinoceros)" is awarded within HKU system through HKU SPACE to students who have completed the programme and fulfilled the following requirements:
- Normally achieved 80% attendance in lectures and;
- Passed all assessments through coursework (Model one small-scaled; one large-scaled model in Grasshoppper)
- 8 November 2023
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Contact hours: 30 hours in total
Mr. Edmond WONG, Authorized Rhinoceros Trainer, McNeel Asia
Fee & Entry Requirements
(a) hold a recognized post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree;
(b) have intermediate skills in Rhino 3D (Authorized Training in Rhinoceros- Level 2 Training or equivalent)
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$6,600
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Parametric Modeling with Grasshopper in Rhinoceros)
|COURSE CODE 31C105084||FEES $6,600||ENQUIRY 3762-0073|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Parametric Modeling with Grasshopper in Rhinoceros)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please visit any of HKU SPACE enrolment counters to apply for the programme. True copies and photocopies of academic/working qualifications should be brought along for certification.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Digital Building Design