Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
Limited quota: 30 students only
The Japanese Sake Masterclass Series is designed as a series of short courses with different topics/themes. It is suitable to people who are sake industry practitioners and sake lovers, preferably with some foundational sake knowledge, in order to reap the most benefits from the courses.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Our sake courses are taught by qualified sake professionals who are also experienced in sake education.
- Our sake courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All sakes are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized sake suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
This “Meeting and Tasting with Sake Brewer” course will be the first one in the masterclass series. This 2-hour masterclass aims to introduce one of the famous sake breweries, Imada Sake Brewing Co., Ltd. (今田酒造本店) in Hiroshima, Japan and students will have valuable chance to virtually meet and learn with one of the most inspiring sake brewers.
Our sake teacher Ms Naoko Ikeda (WSET Certified Sake Educator) will explain about Hiroshima, an important sake region, special ingredients such as rice and koji, as well as the latest rice polishing technique which are used to produce beautiful Fukucho (富久長) sakes. It is noteworthy that students will be introduced to a special type of rice (八反草), which is only planted for and brewed by this Brewery.
Prominent sake master brewer, Ms Miho Imada, will virtually share her passion and unique philosophy of sake production, so that students will gain a deeper knowledge and understanding about sake making and characteristics of her sake through tasting. A virtual visit of the historical sake brewery will be conducted through a video and the history and the spirit of ginjo sake making in Hiroshima will be explained too. Q&A session will be arranged at the end.
Profile of Imada Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
The village of Akitsu in Hiroshima Prefecture, where the Imada Sake Brewing Co., Ltd. is located, is a quiet place facing the Seto Inland Sea. From long ago it has been famous as a village from which many toji (master brewers) and kurabito (brewery workers) come, and sake brewers from here can be found at breweries in the village of Saijo in Hiroshima, known as the local “sake capital,” as well as all over the country. Akitsu was also the home of Sanzaburo Miura, a brewing expert that, in the late 1800s and early 1900s, taught many brewers how to brew with soft water and make high quality ginjo-shu. This is why people say that ginjo-shu was born in Hiroshima. The name, Fukucho, was given to Imada sake by Mr. Miura.
The village of Akitsu; with a proud history of famous sake and known as the home of famous toji. Espoused by this father of Hiroshima sake, Sanzaburo Miura, are the words “A hundred tries, a thousand improvements” (百試千改). Fukucho carries on this enthusiastic attitude as a tradition today.
Wedsite of Imada Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
Teacher/ Guest Speaker Profile:
Ms Naoko Ikeda (池田直子)
Ms. Naoko Ikeda 池田直子 is a Japanese Sake & Wine Specialist based in Hong Kong. Born in Hiroshima, she has lived in Japan and France. She is a WSET certified educator and is also conducting her tailor-made original classes. She has more than 20 years experiences in Food & Beverage Industry, as Educator, Speaker, Consultant, Buyer, Marketer and Sales Manager. She has worked for sake breweries and wineries. Currently she works for a major Champagne House. Her sake qualifications: WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Pass with Distinction (2018), Japan Sommelier Association Sake Diploma (2017) and SSI International Kikisake-shi (2017). Besides teaching, she also loves pairing her homemade food with sakes and working at production sites and wishes to spread her passion of appreciating sakes.
Ms Miho Imada (今田美穂)
Ms Miho Imada, 今田美穂 is a reputable Toji for Imada Sake Brewing Co., Ltd. (今田酒造本店) in Hiroshima, Japan. As a third generation Toji, Imada learned the art of sake from her father and grandfather and took over the family business. Currently, about 20 of the Japanese sake breweries are run by women, and Imada is one of the few female sake master brewers. Her Fukucho ginjo sake won a platinum award at Kura Master 2017, an annual contest selecting the best from over 550 Japanese sake brands, and many more awards. Imada is one of the inspiring and influential women leaders from around the world and she was awarded BBC's ‘100 Women’ 2020 and Forbes’ ‘50 Over 50: Asia’ 2022.
In next class, you will be able to taste:
During the masterclass, four types of specially selected Imada sakes will be served to students to taste under the guidance of both Ms Naoko Ikeda and Ms Miho Imada.
- 富久長 八反草扁平HENPEI
- 富久長 八反草原形GENKEI
- 富久長 八反草 純米吟醸
- 富久長 海風土 純米
* Sakes are subject to stock availability.
- 2 hours
Island East Campus
IEC901 (Wine Room)
Island East Campus
IEC903 (Wine Room)
Date and Time
18 June 2022 (Saturday)
|Naoko Ikeda||12 June 2022|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
HKU SPACE has been using the following measures to protect the safety of our students/teachers/staff and reduce the chances of infection:
- Health declaration form completion
- Temperature check at the entrance of the School campus
- All students/teachers/staff need to wear a surgical mask at all times (except for wine/sake/coffee tasting and food pairing moments)
- Maintain social distancing
- Regular sanitary / hygienic measures in the School campus
- Mandate Vaccination for students/teachers/staff
- Be aged 18 or above
- Not suffer from any health problems that are unfit for tasting wine in class
- Recommend to people with fundamental knowledge on Japanese sake
- Course Fee : HK$800 per programme
Early Bird Rate : HK$730 per programme (applicable to enrollment on/before 3 June 2022)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee