This course will help you if you take a degree or diploma course that requires you to produce assignments in English. It will enable you to learn, to write and succeed across college and university curriculums. The course aims to empower you to write clearly, coherently, and concisely and to acquire the academic literacies and discourse conventions applicable to most disciplines in higher education.
You will learn how to:
- Interpret and analyse assignment questions and prompts
- Select, read and interpret suitable reference materials
- Identify the purpose, audience and context of writing
- Plan, generate, develop and organise relevant ideas
- Follow the writing conventions and rhetorical structures of academic genres
- Paraphrase, summarise, synthesise and quote source literature
- Develop arguments with evidence and express writer identity appropriately
- Use correct academic language, grammar, vocabulary and discourse markers to communicate thoughts coherently and concisely
- Create error free text accurately and fluently in an academic style and format
- Revise, edit, fine tune and proof read drafts
Teaching and Learning Strategies
To facilitate participants to acquire the knowledge and skills of academic writing efficiently and effectively, this course will use the following instructional strategies:
- Product-focused, process-oriented and genre-based approaches to support students to learn to write competently;
- Portfolio assessment to monitor students’ development of academic writing skills with explicit writing rubrics, continuous writing practices and teacher-student conferences;
- Teaching and learning cycle model to scaffold students to analyse discipline-specific genre features of model texts and then jointly and independently construct sample assignments, and
- On-line self-access learning facilities to support students to become autonomous learners of academic writing.
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: http://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english.
|Application Code||Commencement||Day / Time||Teacher and Venue|
17 November 2018
- Saturday, 10:00am - 1:00pm
- 15 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Instructors of all our courses are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Applicants should note:
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved
You should either be already studying or about to study a diploma or degree programme that requires you to write in English. You should attach to your application copies of certificates showing that you have been accepted into such a programme.
- Course Fee : HK$3,300
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
Notes to applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of