Engineering and Science General and Environmental Sciences
The curriculum will focus on planning and managing the green space and infrastructure for urban forestry in a broader and holistic scope through mastering the professional knowledge and skills of arboriculture, horticulture, landscape and ecological sciences, and urban forestry management.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- apply the basic principles and theories of urban forestry in the strategic planning and management of green infrastructure and urban forest;
- identify plants and trees for urban forestry and choose the appropriate types of plants in different environmental settings;
- undertake and supervise arboricultural and horticultural works and maintenance;
- formulate goals and measures of ecological restoration and assess the site conditions after reclaiming the disturbed landscapes and ecosystems;
- plan and conduct plant and tree surveys and assess the impact on the environment; and
- develop appropriate objectives, implementation procedures and safety measures for inspection of trees and plants and risk assessment of wildlife habitat.
The assessments include assignments, case study, reports of site visit, group projects, practicum reports and written examinations.
Upon completion of the programme and pass the assessments, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE a "Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry".
|Apply Online Now
|Apply Online Now
- 15 months.
Date / Time: Tuesday and Friday, 7:30pm - 9:30pm (Two sessions per week)
Modules & Class Details
- Introduction to Urban Forestry Planning, Policy and Management
- Plant Taxonomy, Identification and Selection
- Arboricultural Practice and Horticulture Care
- Ecological Restoration and Sustainability
- Occupational Safety and Health for Arboriculture and Horticulture
- Survey, Inspection and Risk Assessment
The graduates of the programmes would be eligible to meet the relevant study hours requirement for sitting the ISA Certified Arborist Examination.
ISA Certified Arborist / ISA Board Certified Master Arborist with solid teaching experience in educational institutions and professional association
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$44,470 (To be paid in two instalments)
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in five subjects including English Language and Chinese Language; or
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in three subjects and Level 2 in English Language# and Chinese Language*; or
- hold a qualification of Certified Arborist of the International Society of Arboriculture with at least 2-year relevant work experience.
Applicants who do not possess the above qualifications but are aged 23 or above with 2-year relevant work experience may also be considered. An interview may be necessary in such cases.
# or Grade E in English Language (Syllabus B) (obtained before 2007).
* or Grade E in Chinese Language (obtained before 2007).
Each application must be accompanied by supporting documents of required academic or professional qualifications.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry
|COURSE CODE 31F142924
|Introduction to Urban Forestry Planning, Policy and Management (Module from Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142935
|Plant Taxonomy, Identification and Selection (Module from Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142943
|Arboricultural Practice and Horticulture Care (Module from Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142951
|Ecological Restoration and Sustainability (Module from Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z14296A
|Occupational Safety And Health For Arboriculture And Horticulture & Arboricultural Practice And Horticulture Care (Modules From Professional Diploma In Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142978
|Occupational Safety And Health For Arboriculture And Horticulture & Survey, Inspection And Risk Assessment (Modules From Professional Diploma In Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142986
|Survey, Inspection and Risk Assessment (Module from Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry)
|COURSE CODE 31Z142994
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Professional Diploma in Urban Forestry
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
The completed application form with the relevant documents* should be submitted by the following methods on or before the application deadline.
1. Online Enrolment
- Complete the online application form
- Upload a clear electronic copy of the following documents* with the image type of doc, docx, jpg and pdf and image resolution is 300dpi or above
- Photo of the documents is NOT accepted
2. In Person / Mail
- by mailing to HKU SPACE, Smart Wellness and Sustainability Subject Group, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong (Attention to: Ms Lily Chan)
- in person at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres
*Each application must be accompanied by the following photocopied documents:
- certificate of HKDSE/ HKCEE/ Certified Arborist of the International Society of Arboriculture; and
- reference letter/ proof of relevant work experience; and
- Hong Kong identity card or passport.
Applicants will be asked to present HKID or passport for verification if applying in person at enrolment counters
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- General and Environmental Sciences