Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
The programme aims to provide students with advanced knowledge of the coaching practice and exercise science components that underpin sport coaching and development. The programme will enhance students’ analytical ability, improve their problem-solving skills and encourage innovative solutions to sport coaching problems. It also aims to enable students to develop their coaching expertise alongside their sport-specific qualifications and support qualified sport coaches seeking higher level professional recognition.
Duration of Study
Students can complete the programme in 9 months (part-time). Classes will be conducted on weekday evenings.
The medium of instruction is English.
The delivery methods are diverse which include face-to-face lectures, discussions and presentations. There are also online tutorials for a wide variety of activities such as debates, discussion and critique of research papers, case study scenarios, and the general discussion of academic and ethical issues that underpin each module.
Programme Intended Learning Outcome
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- strategically apply the scientific components of human movement and exercise science to coaching practice;
- critically evaluate contemporary sport and recreation issues and integrate these with the changing environment of sport coaching practice;
- critically examine sport performance and formulate strategies to develop sport performance in individual athletes;
- strategically apply a range of coaching skills to a sport coaching plan designed to develop the sport performance of an athlete/s in a selected sport.
The programme incorporates a wide variety of assessment methods enabling the way in which student achievement is measured and evaluated to be appropriate to the learning outcomes of each module. Appropriate techniques are chosen to fit the subject and context for the students involved. A wide range of assessment methods is designed and proposed to meet the different needs and learning abilities of our students. Assessment includes individual written assignment, oral presentation and group project. For instance, a poster presentation would demonstrate students’ presentation skills; reflective skills would be better assessed with a reflective report.
To complete the programme, students are required to achieve 70% attendance of the programme and pass all the assignments. Upon successful completion, students will be awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Students who are elite athletes can apply for the Western Harbour Tunnel Elite Athlete Education Scholarship, the deadline of application is 31 August each year.
Modules & Class Details
Advanced Exercise Science for Coaching
Contemporary Issues in Sport and Recreation
Advanced Sport Coaching and Athlete Development
Performance Analysis and Development
Strategic Sport Coaching and Development Plan
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants should normally hold a recognised Bachelor's degree in sports, physical education, sport coaching or related subject.
Qualified coaches or high performance athletes with a recognised Bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualifications will also be considered.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Consideration will also be given to mature age applicants who do not fulfil the academic requirement or with other qualifications but who can demonstrate extensive experience in positions requiring related skills. Such applicants shall have to provide evidence of a) English proficiency such as an overall band of 6.0 in the IELTS, or equivalent; and b) evidence of practice in sport coaching or at elite level in sport.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$38,175 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development
|COURSE CODE 43G134833||FEES $38,175||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Advanced Exercise Science for Coaching (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134840||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Contemporary Issues in Sport and Recreation (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134859||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Advanced Sport Coaching and Athlete Development (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134867||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Performance Analysis and Development (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z134875||FEES $7,635||ENQUIRY 2587-3154|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
- Relevant Programmes
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Coaching Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport Management Postgraduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management Advanced Diploma in Sport Injury Prevention and Management Advanced Diploma in Recreation and Sports Management Advanced Diploma in Sport Coaching and Performance Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Strategic Marketing) Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Policy) Certificate for Module (Sport and Recreation Strategic Business Management)