Arts, Design & Culture Performing Arts
This Postgraduate Diploma programme caters for the teachers, therapists, social workers and health-related professionals, providing them with practical experience, systematic training and environment to the interested and qualified students to fulfill one quarter of the requirements to become a registered music therapist with the Australian Music Therapy Association.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- acquire initial skills in the use of music as a medium to stimulate positive health and educational changes in child clients;
- be able to fulfil the task of a music therapist in training using basic methods; and
- learn basic design and appraisal of therapeutic programme or approach within the appropriate ethical standards of practice for working with child clients.
Music therapy has become a progressively established allied health profession around the world, can one receive quality training in Hong Kong? Our PgDip in Music Therapy adjunct lecturer Mr Pan Ho will tell you more in this episode.
The duration of the programme is 1.5 years.
The postgraduate diploma in Music Therapy will be offered in blended learning mode. The medium of delivery and assessment is English.
The five taught modules are:
|1. Music Therapy for Child Clients|
|2. Music Therapy Methods Introduction|
|3. Music Therapy in Hong Kong Context and Advocacy|
|4. Clinical Practice in Music Therapy|
|5. Music Psychology Research|
A 'Postgraduate Diploma in Music Therapy' will be awarded by HKU SPACE to students who meet ALL of the following;
- have passed the assessments of all the modules; and
- have attended at least 80% of the lectures.
Graduates of this programme who meet the entrance requirements of the Master of Music Therapy (by coursework) of the University of Melbourne, Australia will be granted exemption of four modules (25% of the programme) if accepted into the Masters (by coursework) programme.
Blended learning mode of the Master’s degree is now available online. Student can access MU’s web page: http://mcm.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/master-of-music-therapy/overview for more details. Those who plan to apply for the Melbourne University (MU) Master of Music Therapy (by course work) have to fulfil the programme entry requirements.
|Application Code||2170-PE025A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- 5 module(s)
- 1 to 2 hours per meeting
Fee & Entry Requirements
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$52,800 per programme (in one single payment)
- HK$1939 (HKU library fee (optional))
(a) (i) hold a Bachelor of Music, or
(ii) hold a Bachelor of Music Education, or
(iii) hold a Bachelor degree in an allied health or education profession (e.g. teaching, occupational therapy, nursing, etc.) awarded by a recognized university. If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
1. HKCEE (before 2007) English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade D or above; or (Syllabus A) at Grade B or above; or
2. HKCEE (2007-2011) English Language at Level 3 or above; or
3. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
4. HKALE (1992 – 2012) Use of English at Grade E or above; or
5. an overall band 6.5 or above in the IELTS; or
6. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL
(b) have attained ABRSM Grade 5 or above in theory and Grade 6 or above in one practical instrument (excluding voice);
(c) have completed at least one psychology module (e.g. modules in behavioral neuroscience, learning and cognition, developmental psychology, social psychology) at university year 1 level at a recognized institution;
(d) pass the admission selection interview. For the audition, applicants should prepare 2 songs (one for children and one for adult songs) and accompany self on guitar with basic chord progressions, each song should last for 2-3 minutes. The audition panel reserves the right to hear only portions of the works prepared. Students should have achieved a certain level of guitar proficiency, for example singing with a guitar using 4 different chords (including bar chords) and at least two types of strumming or picking before Module 2.
Audition and selection interview will be scheduled in mid-December 2023
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Music Therapy in Hong Kong Context and Advocacy (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Music Therapy)|
|COURSE CODE 41Z136120||FEES $10,560||ENQUIRY 3762-0055|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Music Therapy
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please submit the following documents to any HKU SPACE enrolment counters or post to HKU SPACE, 19/F, Island East Campus, 494 King's Road, NorthPoint, Hong Kong (attention to Mr Patrick Kwok).
- completed application form (SF26);
- a copy of academic transcripts and certificates; and
- a crossed cheque for the application fees (payable to "HKU SPACE").
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.