Hospitality, Tourism & Events Business & Live Entertainment Events
QUICK: 12 months + QF LEVEL 6 with CEF financial assistance
FURTHER STUDIES: graduates have 30 credit exemption for University of Plymouth Master Degree* for Career Enhancement anywhere in the world
FLEXIBLE: Blended Study Mode (face-to-face & online mode)
PRACTICAL: Hands-on Practical Experience Sharing from Professional Industrial Practitioners in Hong Kong, Asia-Pacific, Europe, and other parts of the world
*Graduates may have 30 credits (Module: Experience Design and Digital Marketing) exempted towards the 180-credit Master of Science Tourism and Hospitality Management programme in collaboration with the University of Plymouth.
PROGRAMME OBJECTIVESThe programme aims to equip students with the credentials and expertise that prepare them for a variety of career in the competitive and ever-changing live entertainment and event industry.
The programme covers talent management, contract management, marketing, digital technology, sponsorship and partnership, business and legal affairs, intellectual property, risk management, and cross-cultural communication skills within the context of live entertainment and event industry. Case studies, based on issues confronted by local and international entertainment and event companies, and guest speakers serve as the basis for analysis and discussion in many of the modules.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- discuss and evaluate the business of international live entertainment and event industry and its management strategies from the local and international perspectives;
- integrate the design, production, and organization of live entertainment events and analyze the relationships among the various stakeholders;
- develop communication strategies from the wider context of international environments or cross-cultural business settings;
- critically assess different types of risks involved in live entertainment events and devise appropriate management strategies;
- analyse a variety of techniques to identify, pitch and engage sponsors and partnering organizations to improve the short term objectives together with longer term brand building.
Graduates of this programme may consider to develop your career in job positions, such as Event Manager, Event Designer, Event Producer, Entertainment Manager, Operations and Logistics Manager, in both Hong Kong and in the region.
The programme covers talent management, contract management, digital marketing, event technology, sponsorship and partnership, business and legal affairs, intellectual property, risk management, and cross-cultural communication skills within the context of live entertainment and event industry. Case studies, based on issues confronted by local and international entertainment and event companies, and guest speakers serve as the basis for analysis and discussion in many of the modules.
The programme consists of 6 modules. Each module comprises 30 or 39 lecture hours, leading to 9 or 12 credits respectively. There is no pre-requisites among the modules.
|Module||Contact hours||Credits||Course Fee|
|1.||International Live Entertainment Event Touring and Management||39||12||HK$5,700|
|2.||Experiential Event Design and Delivery||39||12||HK$5,700|
|3.||Integrated Marketing and Brand Communications||30||9||HK$5,200|
Cross-Cultural Communication in the Event Industry
|5.||Contingency Planning and Risk Management||30||9||HK$5,200|
|6.||Event Sponsorship and Partnership||30||9||HK$5,200|
The medium of instruction is English.
Students may apply for exemptions of up to 50% of the total credits of the programme. Exemptions may be granted for individual module if the student has successfully completed a module of comparable content and standard. Application for exemptions will be deliberated and decided by the Programme Team. A non-refundable fee of HK$500 per module is payable for each application for exemption.
Normal Registration Period
- Two modules in each trimester
- Three trimesters in each year (March - June, July - October & November - February)
- Normal duration of study is 12 months
The mode of assessment is different from module to module but will be generally based on a combination of coursework. Throughout each module, students will be assessed by a combination of:
- Essay/ Assignment/Report Writing
- Group Project and Presentation
- Online Exercise
All assessments will be in English.
There is a 70% attendance requirement per module for students. For students who do not meet the minimum attendance requirement, the School has the discretion not to allow these students to attempt any assessment and/or to graduate from the programme and/or to continue studies.
Upon successful completion of all 6 modules with 60 credits and the required assessments, students will be awarded with the “Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management” within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. On completion of Module 1 and any two modules of 4-6 leads to Postgraduate Certificate in International Live Entertainment and Event Management within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Graduates may have 30 credits (Module: Experience Design and Digital Marketing) exempted towards the 180-credit Master of Science Tourism and Hospitality Management# programme in collaboration with the University of Plymouth.
Graduates may have 20 credits exemption for Master of Science in Marketing# programme in collaboration with Edinburgh Napier University.
#These are exempted course sunder the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which these courses may lead.
Teacher / Guest Speaker profile
Mr Robert Rogers
- Over 30 years of experience creating events/
- He is Certified Special Event Professional (CSEP)/
- He was founding president of the International Live Event Association Hong Kong Chapter/
- Proponent for ISO20121 event sustainability standards in Asia
- Special Event Design
- Special Event Production
- Entertainment Management
- Stage Management
- APEC CEO Conference – Stage Manager for ~20 heads of state including President XI, President Obama, Prime Minster Medev.
- Asian Brokers and Bankers Awards- producer for 10 years raising over helping to raise of 65million for charity
- An Adventure - A multi day program for 150 pax through France and Italy with performances by Kylie Minogue and Ronan Keating
Gala Award – Best Event for a Private Individual – 2020
Esprit Award – Best Private Event – 2018
Esprit Award – Best Team Effort – 2018
Esprit Award – Best Event with a Legacy – 2015
Esprit Award – Best in Event Filmmaking – 2012
Mr Bobby Wan
Former entertainment media head / Event organizing consultant
- Entrepreneurship in entertainment industry
- Artist collaboration
- Constructing winning event proposals &
- Delivering with modern day technologies
- The Hong Kong Handover, a 60-hour LIVE coverage for a regional broadcaster
- The Millennium Odyssey, a transcontinental TV programme with satellite LIVE telecast events a
- Nobel Prize Forum Beijing, consultant to the Beijing Municipal International Office
- World Economic Forum, Dalian and Tianjin
- The Hong Kong Handover 10th Anniversary, co-project director
- East Asian Games Hong Kong Closing Ceremony, project director
- Experiencing live broadcast and member of the Golden Horse Awards and the Hong Kong Film Awards
- Floor manager for RTHK’s “Top Ten Chinese Gold Songs Award”
- Project Director for a series of LIVE telecast events in Moscow, Athens, Cairo, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Tibet, Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Dalian, Taipei, and Mexico
- International Film & TV Festival of New York, Finalist Award
- International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, President & CEO’s Appraisal
- The Ministry of Social Affairs, Republic of Indonesia, Minister’s Appraisal
- The Ministry of Social Affairs, Republic of Indonesia, Certificate of Social Worker
- World Economic Forum, Media Leaders
- Certificate of Distinction, “Creativity, Innovation, and Change” by the Pennsylvania State University
|Application Code||2155-MS105A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
International Live Entertainment Event Touring and Management
This module aims to give students insights into event practitioners’ major roles and responsibilities so that they can learn different planning and operational strategies from the management perspectives of marketing, budgeting, financial and contractual issues.
Experiential Event Design and Delivery
This module aims to equip event professionals with an overview of event design and operations, and develop their production and managerial skills needed for the event industry, with a particular focus on the psychology of event audience.
Integrated Marketing and Brand Communications
This module focuses on the use of effective marketing communication tools to build a brand. It aims to design the brand elements and plan strategically its architecture, use marketing mix strategies appropriately to develop a brand or revitalize a brand for success.
Cross-Cultural Communication in the Event Industry
Cross-cultural communication in the areas of negotiation skills, leadership skills, team-building skills, dietary, costume and religion considerations, and international marketing strategies across cultures will be discussed in this module.
Contingency Planning and Risk Management
This module will deepen students’ understanding on risk management since they will learn how to critically evaluate any potential risks and actions, formulate the contingency plan,, plan for effective crowd management strategies, and devise communication plan to relevant stakeholders.
Event Sponsorship and Partnership
This module aims to explain and discuss the relationship between sponsor and sponsee in a variety of events, and introduce the essential tools and techniques in event sponsorship and partnership management.
Classes are delivered in weekday evenings (7-10pm) or weekends day time.
Three intakes per year in March, July and November
Admiralty Learning Centre / United Learning Centre / HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus / Fortress Tower Learning Centre Programme team reserves the right to change the above venue/ classroom if necessary.
Applicants should have:
(i) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized institution; OR
(ii) a professional qualification in a relevant discipline and three years of full-time work experience at senior managerial level in related industries.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
i. an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
ii. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
iii. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
iv. HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
v. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants not meeting the standard set of criteria for admission will be assessed on individual merit.
- Course Fees: HK$32,200* will be paid in 3 terms
(*The tuition fee is reviewed annually and is subject to change without prior notice.)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Experiential Event Design and Delivery (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z152350||FEES $5,400||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|Cross-Cultural Communication in the Event Industry (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z152369||FEES $4,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|Contingency Planning and Risk Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z152377||FEES $4,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|Event Sponsorship and Partnership (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z152385||FEES $4,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|Integrated Marketing and Brand Communications (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z15194A||FEES $4,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|International Live Entertainment Event Touring and Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management)|
|COURSE CODE 43Z141952||FEES $5,400||ENQUIRY 2867-8329|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in International Live Entertainment and Event Management
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Business & Live Entertainment Events
- Relevant Programmes
- Master of Science in Marketing with Festival and Event Management Postgraduate Diploma in Corporate Branding and Event Management Bachelor of Science (Honours) Hospitality Management Advanced Diploma in M.I.C.E. and Event Management Advanced Diploma in Live Entertainment, Festival and Event Management Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Travel Experience Management