The programme aims to equip students with advanced English linguistic knowledge and skills through language practice in student-centred learning activities such as speaking, writing, reading and listening to a variety of semi-authentic and authentic English texts. Upon successful completion of the Programme, students are expected to communicate proficiently in English.
The Diploma in General English programme comprises two GE modules, namely:
*Module 1: General English (Lower Advanced) has the same syllabus and minimum entry requirements as the Certificate in General English (Advanced) programme.
For each of the two modules, course participants have to:
- attend 90 hours' face-to-face lectures (30 lessons x 3 hours each); and
- spend a minimum of 12 hours (compulsory) on completing e-learning activities available on the HKU SPACE Online Universal Learning (SOUL 2.0) e-learning platform.
Upon successful completion of the Programme, students are expected to speak and write at an advanced level and be fluent and confident when communicating in English. Students should be able to:
- organise and develop a knowledge of grammar to improve fluency and accuracy (Module 1);
- apply effective techniques in reading, listening and writing for improved comprehension and written performance (Module 2);
- apply linguistic knowledge of text structure and contextualised lexis to convey ideas effectively and explain the meaning of complex authentic and semi-authentic English texts materials (Modules 1 & 2); and
- present arguments, persuade and justify opinions on abstract topics. (Modules 1 & 2)
For both Modules 1 and 2, in addition to face-to-face class lessons, students take part in e-learning activities as self-study engagement. E-learning Activities include reading texts, listening to audio and viewing video clips made available for students’ self-access learning on HKU SPACE Online Universal Learning (SOUL2.0) platform.
Course participants' progress are measured through a number of assessment components including:
- Class Participation and E-learning Activities
- In-Class Assignments (Writing)
- Language Knowledge Tests (Grammar and Vocabulary)
- Reading and Writing Test
- Listening Test
- Oral Test
Students who successfully pass* the programme are eligible to the Diploma in General English award under the HKU System through HKU SPACE.
*By passing the programme, students have to meet the following in each of the two modules:
- Attendance requirement: fulfil 70% of the total 90 face-to-face lecture hours; and
- Performance requirement: complete and attain 50% in all assessment components.
The above programme, syllabus and assessments are prepared by the HKU SPACE English Language Programme Team.
Upon completion of the Diploma in General English programme, course participants who achieve a Grade C or above in all assessment components may progress to the Advanced Diploma in General English programme.
Students can continue with the Advanced General English course which is a 60-hour follow-on course for students who have passed the HKU SPACE Diploma in General English and wish to continue practising and further consolidate their English language skills.
The HKU SPACE General English programme consists of multi-tier general English courses covering all four language skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. There are 7 tiers with each of the tiers becoming progressively more difficult:
Certificate in General English (Foundation)
Certificate in General English (Introductory) or
Certificate in English Language Skills (Introductory)
Certificate in General English (Intermediate) or
Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate)
Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate)
Certificate in General English (Advanced)
Diploma in General English
All the above courses have their own entry requirements. Applicants who do not meet the stated entry requirements have to take the General English Entrance Examination to determine the most appropriate level they should enter.
A non-refundable fee of $210 is required for taking this test. Applicants for the test should fill out the special application form for the General English Entrance Examination to take the exam on a date that suits them. We will send out letters offering places after the exam sessions in good time to allow applicants ample time for course enrolment. Applicants who take an early exam will have a better chance of getting a place at a centre and time of their choice. Applicants who take a later exam will have a limited choice of classes.
There is no guarantee that everyone who takes the General English Entrance Examination will be offered a place in any of the tiers of the HKU SPACE English Course.
For more comprehensive information about HKU SPACE English services, please visit: http://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english.
90 hours (30 meetings x 3 hours each; once per week)
|Application Code||Commencement||Day / Time||Venue|
13 Mar 2023
(Application deadline: 2 Mar 2023)
6:45 - 9:45 pm
Teaching & Teaching Venue
There is no guarantee that the teaching venue allocated for the entire course duration will be the same*. Depending on room availability, teaching venues may be different from those advertised.
* (1) Students with classes in Tong Nai Kan, Kowloon West, should note that, in the case of closure of Po Leung Kuk Tong Nai Kan Junior Secondary College, the lessons thus affected will be transferred to other centres available at the time of booking.
(2) Due to unexpected circumstances, the need arise and approval sought from respective authorities, virtual classes may be conducted to replace the normal face-to-face teaching-learning.
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Module 1: General English (Lower Advanced) (Equal to Certificate in General English (Advanced) )
Module 2: General English (Advanced) (Equal to Diploma in General English)
Applicants should note:
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless any change is made to the announced details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. Applicants with official receipts should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved
Non-Local Applicants / Non-Permanent Hong Kong Residents
The following non-local / non-permanent Hong Kong residents are eligible to study part-time English Language courses at HKU SPACE without making visa arrangements (they do not need prior approval before taking up part-time study courses:
1. those who study in Hong Kong and holding a student visa under HKU SPACE;
2. those who live in Hong Kong on one-way permits (單程證);
3. those admitted to Hong Kong as dependents;
4. those issued with a valid working/employment visa;
5. those who stay in Hong Kong under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme; and
6. those issued with an Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG)
It is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that their visas are valid and to make appropriate visa arrangements. Upon course enrolment, non-local applicants are required to show original copies of their permits and/or visas.
- The Diploma in General English programme comprises a total of 60 lessons (180 hours' face-to-face lectures and a minimum of 24 hours' e-learning activities).
Module 1: General English (Lower Advanced)
30 lessons: 90 hours' face-to-face lectures and a minimum of 12 hours' e-learning activities
Module 2: General English (Advanced)
30 lessons: 90 hours' face-to-face lectures and a minimum of 12 hours' e-learning activities
For direct entry to Module 2: General English (Advanced) leading to the Diploma in General English, applicants shall:
- hold a Certificate in General English (Advanced) with a Merit or higher, awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- hold a Diploma in Business English awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- hold a Certificate in Business English with a Merit or higher, awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- have gained in the HKCEE Grade C (Syllabus B) or Grade A (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 4 in English Language from 2007 or in the HKALE Grade E in AS Use of English and completed an advanced level English course; or
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 4 in English Language and completed an advanced level English course.
Applicants who do not meet the entry requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the General English Entrance Examination.
- Course Fee : HK$8,200 (Module 2: General English (Advanced))
- Early Bird Rate : HK$8,000 (Application received on or before 25 February 2023)
- Course Fee : HK$7,200 (Module 1: General English (Lower Advanced))
- Early Bird Rate : HK$7,000 (Application received on or before 25 February 2023)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Diploma in General English|
|COURSE CODE 24L05273-7||FEES $8,200 (regular) or $8,000 (for early enrolment)||ENQUIRY 3762-0804|
Continuing Education Fund
The Diploma in General English programme is registered with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) as a CEF reimbursable course.
For details, visit their address at http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/.
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Diploma in General English
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- SPACE General English Entrance Examination Advanced Diploma in General English Certificate in General English (Advanced) Certificate in General English (Upper Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Intermediate) Certificate in English Language Skills (Intermediate) Certificate in General English (Introductory) Certificate in English Language Skills (Introductory) Certificate in General English (Foundation) Essential English