Accounting & Finance Finance and Compliance
Accept new application for the Feb 2023 intake!
The programme aims to provide students with fundamental knowledge of statistical and quantitative methods in analyzing financial data. It covers time value of money, descriptive statistics, probability and probability distributions, inferential statistics and regression. Computational tools will be used to assist solving the finance and statistics problems. This programme is suitable for students preparing for postgraduate studies in finance and investment disciplines.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- describe the usage of statistical and quantitative approaches to study financial issues;
- explain basic statistical methods and theories to analyze financial data;
- apply computational tools to wrangle financial data; and
- discuss the applications of statistical and quantitative methods to solve finance problems.
|Application Code||2070-FN063A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Saturday, 10:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 5:00pm
- 30 hours
- HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus
- Admiralty Learning Centre
- United Learning Centre
- Or other Hong Kong Island Learning Centre
The programme consists of 30 contact hours with lectures and practical classes in computer laboratory.
(1) The Time value of money (TVM)
- Introduction to computational tools
- Present value, future value, annuity and perpetuity
- TVM problems with different compounding periods, uneven cash flow series and asset valuations
(2) Descriptive statistics and data visualization
- Introduction to statistical analysis and econometrics
- Data collection and types of variables
- Population and sample
- Numerical descriptive measures
- Financial data visualization using computational tools
(3) Probability theory
- Basic probability concepts
- Conditional probability
- Bayes’ Theorem
- Financial decision making under uncertainty
(4) Probability distributions
- Discrete random variable and its distribution
- Expected value, covariance and portfolio diversification
- Skewness and Kurtosis
- Discrete probability distributions: Binomial distribution, Poisson distribution
- Continuous probability distributions: Normal distribution, t-distribution
- Other distributions: Chi-squared distribution, F-distribution
- Return distribution and VaR for financial risk management
(5) Sampling and sampling distributions
- Types of sampling methods
- Central Limit Theorem
- Sampling distribution of the mean and proportion
(6) Confidence interval estimation
- Confidence interval estimation for the mean and proportion
- Sample size determination
- Confidence Interval for portfolio returns
(7) Hypothesis testing
- Null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis
- One-sample tests: z-test, t-test, one-tailed test, two-tailed test
- Critical value approach and p-value approach
- Tests of significance
- Type I and Type II errors
- The relation between confidence intervals and hypothesis tests
- Two-sample tests: z-test for the difference between two means, pooled-variance t-test, separate-variance t-test, paired t-test
- Chi-square test and F-test
- Hypothesis test for mean returns
(8) Linear regression
- Determination of simple linear regression equation
- Measures of variation using computational tools
- Assumptions of linear regression
- Inferences about the slope and correlation coefficient
- Estimation of mean values and prediction of individual values
- Stock beta and CAPM
(9) Introduction to multiple regression
- Introduction to multiple regression and model building
- Coefficient of multiple determination, adjusted r-square and overall F-test
- Dummy variables
- Hypothesis tests and confidence intervals in multiple regression
- Issues with multiple regression
- Multiple regression and financial modelling using computational tools
Assessment: class exercise (60%) & group presentation (40%)
Upon successful completion of the programme, students who have passed the continuous assessment and final assessment with attendance no less than 70% will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE the Certificate for Module (Quantitative Methods in Finance).
- Tentative timetable is subject to change and the course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment
- In case of cancel class, course fee will be refunded or transferred to next available intake
|2||4-Feb-23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|4||11-Feb-23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|6||18-Feb-23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
*(Class schedule will be given out upon one week prior to course commencement through by Email)
Applicants should hold an Advanced Diploma, a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree awarded by a recognized institution. Those with a mathematics or science background would be at an advantage.
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
(1) Mr. W. C. Chan
Mr. W. C. Chan, FRM, is professional in mathematical and statistical analysis as well as data analytics. He possessed rich experience in financial risk management, information technology and data science and worked as IT Manager over a decade. Being a practitioner in information technology, he is currently a consultant and trainer at Big Data Consultancy Services Company. He is strong in big data technology, data mining and machine learning. Mr. Chan has obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong as well as two Master’s Degrees, namely, Risk Management Science from The Chinese University of Hong Kong and Quantitative Analysis for Business from City University of Hong Kong.
(2) Ms. Rowena Lai
Ms. Lai is good at mathematical and statistical analysis as well as business analytics. With a Bachelor of Science (Major in Mathematics and Minor in Economics) from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, two Master of Science degrees in both International Shipping and Transport Logistics as well as Global Supply Chain Management from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, she has worked with different industries on business analytics area. Ms. Lai is currently working in a leading banking and leading various projects related to data analytics. She has also worked in an airline industry leader, and shipping industry on revenue management and business analytics. Thanks to her strong business and analytical sense together with her extended working exposure, she would like to share her academic knowledge and practical experience in statistical methods and data analytics.
(3) Mr. Ferrix Lau, ACS, ACIS, CFA, FRM
Mr Lau has over 10 years’ teaching experience in business, accounting and finance modules at tertiary level. He teaches Financial Analysis, Financial Risk Management, Quantitative Analysis, Financial Accounting, Cost and Management Accounting as well as Corporate Governance. Moreover, he is a co-author of a Statistics book, Quantitative Analysis for Professional Studies and Projects. Furthermore, he has strong interests in the areas of Statistical Analysis, Quantitative Finance and Machine Intelligence. Mr. Lau has earned a Bachelor's Degree in Social Science from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, major in Economics and minor in Computer Science. Besides, he holds a Master's Degree in Business Administration with Distinction from The University of Hong Kong, concentrating on the theme of Accounting Control and Financial Management.
(4) Mr. Andy Fung
Mr. Fung obtained his BSBA degree at The Ohio State University and MBA degree at the University of Illinois, Urbana. Mr. Fung is an experienced educator. For almost 20 years, he has been teaching extensively in various programs and in tertiary institutions such as School of Continuing and Professional Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and The Hong Kong Community College. Prior to joining the teaching profession, Mr. Fung had been working in the business sector for more than 10 years. His job exposure relates to banking, manufacturing and high technology industry. His last position was Finance Manager of Motorola (HK).
- Course Fee : HK$6800 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Quantitative Methods in Finance)
證書(單元 : 金融定量分析方法)
|COURSE CODE 33C134888||FEES $6,800||ENQUIRY 2520-4612|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Quantitative Methods in Finance)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Finance and Compliance
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate for Module (Introduction to Financial Time Series Analysis)