Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the role of nutrition and diet in the prevention and management of diabetes;
- Integrate and apply knowledge to plan dietary strategies for diabetics with varying personal preferences, ethnicity and culture;
- Describe the challenges encountered by clients/patients attempting to modify their diet to prevent or manage their diabetes;
- Devise evidence-based behavioural change strategies to enable clients/patients to implement the dietary changes needed to improve their glycemic control.
- Diabetes: prevalence, causes, diagnosis, and medical management
- Pharmacotherapy: medications for diabetes and their nutritional considerations
- Nutritional recommendations for those at risk of or with pre-diabetes
- Dietary management of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes
- Evidence-based guidelines
- Adapting guidelines to accommodate individual’s cultural, ethnic background, and personal preferences
- Nutritional considerations to prevent and manage DM complications
- Diabetes remission
- Implementing dietary recommendations - practical issues : portion size, menu planning, reading food labels
- Educating and empowering individuals with diabetes to implement dietary changes:
- Nutrition education
- Behaviour change
- Nutritional considerations for diabetics during sport and exercise
Assessment for this programme is based on coursework assignments.
Mode of Delivery
The programme will be delivered through face-to-face seminars and interactive class discussions.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded a "Certificate for Module (Nutrition and Dietary Management of Diabetes)" within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
|Apply Online Now
|Apply Online Now
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 7:00pm – 10:00pm and occasionally Saturday afternoons 2:30pm - 5:30pm.
Fee & Entry Requirements
- Course Fee : HK$7900
Applicants shall be health care professionals who hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent awarded by a recognised university.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency such as:
(i) HKDSE English Language Level 3 or above OR
(ii) HKALE Grade D or above OR
(iii) HKCEE English Language Grade C (Syllabus B) (obtained before 2007) or Level 3 (obtained after 2007) OR
(iv) an overall band of 6.5 average with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS OR
(vi) equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Nutrition and Dietary Management of Diabetes)
|COURSE CODE 41C15687A
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Nutrition and Dietary Management of Diabetes)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working / dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences). OR
By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.