Arts, Design & Culture Performing Arts
This programme serves as a platform for students to share their musical experiences and knowledge through performing during the lessons. It provides students with an opportunity to perform in front of an audience (the whole class), and receive feedback and suggestions from the lecturer and other guest lecturers. The recital opportunity will further enhance students’ skills and musicianship, broaden their repertoire knowledge, and develop their interpretational abilities.
On completion of the module, students should be able to:
1. perform technically-based repertoire with assured musical fluency;
2. conceptualise and develop solutions for advanced technical difficulties;
3. evaluate and address technical demands in selected repertoire;
4. perform with musical assurance and maturity, and present aesthetics qualities of technical repertoire.
A ‘Certificate for Module (Advanced Piano Technique and Performance Practice)’ will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE to students who meet ALL of the following:
- passed the assessments
- achieved at least 70% of attendance
Students will have the opportunity to perform in front of the teacher and other guest lecturers. Each student will receive feedback and suggestions from the teacher/prominent guest pianists and will get advice on how to improve their techniques and musicality. These sessions foster a critical awareness of issues in formal performance and help students develop confidence in performing for an audience. Advice from lecturer, guest pianists and peers will focus on:
- Performance and constructive criticisms
- Pedagogical discussion
- Technical issues and expressive awareness on performance
- Piano literature and repertoire
- Concert programme, preparation, organization and publicity
|Application Code||2070-PE047A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Type of Assessment
Students must present a programme of approved pieces, of approximately 20 minutes in duration including normal pauses between pieces and/or movements. In preparing their recitals, each student will be required to submit 3 recordings of their performance for the teacher to check students’ progress.
Recital Programme Notes
Students need to prepare a 400-600-word programme notes of his/her own recital that are highly perceptive and persuasively written, with a high level of research and excellent organization of material.
|Module Title||Class Schedule|
|Certificate for Module (Advanced Piano Technique and Performance Practice)||
Start from 21 Feb 2023, Tuesdays
(6:30pm - 9:30pm)
1. hold a bachelor’s degree, preferably in music, awarded by a recognised university, and
2. have passed the Grade 8 piano examination under ABRSM, or equivalent.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
a. an overall band of 6.0 with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
b. a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL; or
c. HKALE Use of English at Grade E; or
d. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3; or
e. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Applicants will be required to submit a video clip of 10-15 minutes of their own piano performance or teaching demonstration.
Shortlisted applicants might be invited for an interview.
- Course Fee : HK$19,600
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Advanced Piano Technique and Performance Practice)
|COURSE CODE 32C135687||FEES $19,600||ENQUIRY 3762-0054|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Advanced Piano Technique and Performance Practice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please submit the following documents to any HKU SPACE enrolment counters or post to HKU SPACE, 19/F, Island East Campus, 494 King's Road, NorthPoint, Hong Kong (attention to Mr Brian Ho).
- completed application form (SF26);
- a copy of academic transcripts
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.