Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
This programme is designed for individuals, who are involved in sport and exercise activities, to acquire an in-depth knowledge in nutrition so as to optimize their physical performance. It is also a continuing professional development course for doctors specializing in sport medicine, trainers, coaches, physiotherapists, physical education and sports teachers and may serve as continuing education for other interested individuals e.g. professional athletes.
On completion of this programme, students should be able to
- Describe and evaluate the role of nutrition in sport and exercise ;
- Apply knowledge of sport and exercise nutrition to identify suitable food choices and evaluate nutritional and dietary supplements suitable for consumption during sport and exercise;
- Discuss the role of nutrition and exercise in the prevention of disease;
- Integrate and apply the knowledge of nutrition to maximize performance of athletes;
- Identify the varying nutritional requirements for sport and exercise for different types of sport and specific population groups e.g. females, children and elderly.
Module 1: Basic Nutrition
- Digestion, absorption, transport of nutrients
- Nutrition throughout the lifecycle
- Nutritional analysis
- Nutrition policy and food labeling and introduction to food safety
Module 2: Nutritional Requirements in Sport and Exercise
- Health benefits of exercise
- Evaluating fitness
- Training principles and techniques
- Energy metabolism and exercise
- Protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamin and minerals for various types of sport and exercise
- Fluid and electrolyte balance in sport and exercise
- Nutrition in overtraining and burnout
- Nutrition and blood formation
- Nutrition for bone health
- Nutrition, exercise and immunity and gut health
- Vegetarianism in sport and exercise
Module 3: Nutrition Guidelines in Sport and Exercise
- Managing body weight
- Nutrition and the female athlete
- Nutrition and exercise in children and adolescents
- Nutrition and exercise in the elderly, active aging
- Nutrition for training, preparation for competition, during competition and recovery
- Nutrition and endurance, strength and skills
- Nutritional considerations during injury and rehabilitation
- Use of nutritional and dietary supplements in sport and exercise
Students with relevant nutrition background may be exempted from Module 1 (Basic Nutrition), which will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Board of Selection.
Programme Assessment :
Assessment for the programme is based on a combination of coursework assignments and examinations.
Upon sucessful completion of the programme, students will be awarded Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition within HKU System through HKU SPACE.
Students who successfully complete the Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition together with the Advanced Certificate in Nutrition, Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management, Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management, Advanced Certificate in Food Science, Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology, and either the Advanced Certificate in Child and Adolescent Nutrition or the Advanced Certificate in Clinical Nutrition and Health Promotion are eligible to apply for entry into the Bachelor of Science (Honours) Food and Nutrition programme offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with the University of Ulster.
|Application Code||2035-HS020B||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- Thursday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm; some Saturday afternoons
- Approx. 6 months
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point)
Applicants shall hold:
Students with no science background are recommended to take the HKU SPACE Human Biology and Organic Chemistry I and II short courses prior to commencing this programme. Students should also consider taking the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology course.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- $16,500 / $13,200 (Advanced Certificate with Module 1 exemption)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition
|COURSE CODE 42K106858||FEES $16,500||ENQUIRY 3762-0833|
|Nutritional Requirements in Sport & Exercise (Module from Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition)|
|COURSE CODE 42Z106860||FEES $6,600||ENQUIRY 3762-0833|
|Nutrition Guidelines in Sport & Exercise (Module from Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition)|
|COURSE CODE 42Z106879||FEES $6,600||ENQUIRY 3762-0833|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition
Online Application Apply NowEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition). OR
By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Dietetics and Nutrition