Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
This programme is designed to introduce human biochemistry and physiology to the students. This programme provides an in-depth knowledge of human biochemistry and physiology at degree level. Graduates from this programme will have acquired concepts of biochemistry and physiology which will allow them to embark onto a degree in nutritional sciences.
This programme is also one of the bridging courses for non-degree holders entering the BSc (Hons) in Human Nutrition programme and the final year BSc (Hons) in Food and Nutrition programme at Ulster University, UK.
Upon successful completion of this programme, together with other required HKU SPACE programmes,, graduates will be eligible to apply for the part-time BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition extension programme.
This Advanced Certificate is a bridging course for HKU SPACE Associate Degree holders or equivalent who wish to articulate to the BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition and/or the BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition programmes at Ulster University U.K. (Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Ulster University).
The programme covers 5 modules:
The programme will be offered on a part-time basic. It focuses on human biochemistry and human physiology. Students will normally meet for two sessions per week.
The programme will be delivered through face-to-face seminars, class-interactive discussions, and laboratory practicals.
A HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology will be awarded to successful candidates.
|Application Code||2045-HS005A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Monday, & Thursday 6:45pm - 9:45pm; and occasionally Saturday afternoons (Module A to D)
- Saturday afternoons (Module E)
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Admiralty, Causeway Bay, Fortress Hill or North Point) / HKU Campus
1. (a) hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised university; OR
(b) hold a higher diploma awarded by a recognised university with at least 2 years work experience; OR
(c) completed the following certificates awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE:
(i) Advanced Certificate in Nutrition; and
(ii) Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management; and
(iii) Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management; and
(iv) Any TWO of the following certificates
- Advanced Certificate in Child and Adolescent Nutrition; or
- Advanced Certificate in Clinical Nutrition and Health Promotion; or
- Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition
(v) - have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 4 subjects with at least 5 years work experience; OR
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination level 2 in 4 subjects with at least 4 years work experience;
2. provide evidence of English proficiency, such as
(a) HKCEE English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade E or English Language (Syllabus A) at Grade C or English Language (in or after 2007) at Level 2; OR
(b) HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 2;
have successfully completed the HKU SPACE Human Biology and Organic Chemistry I & II short courses. Those with a pass in the HKCEE Chemistry and Biology OR have gained in the HKDSE Examination at Level 2 in both Chemistry (or Level 3 in Combined Science (Chemistry)) and Biology (or Level 3 in Combined Science (Biology)) or equivalent will be exempted.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- $21,000 (whole certificate); $7,000 (module E only)
Application to Module E only is permitted to graduates from this certificate before 2009.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the enrolment form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working / dependent visa with original entry permit) and and an application fee of HK$150 made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
- By Post: Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences, HKU SPACE, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, Hong Kong OR
- In Person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences) OR
- By online: through HKU SPACE website.
- Applicants should note that simply meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee entry to a programme. Places are subject to availability and selection criteria, if any.
- As Hongkong Post adopted new postage rates on 1 January 2018, please make sure that sufficient postage is provided when you send us your supporting documents by post. For mails with postage underpaid, we shall return the mails to senders or ask them to pay for the shortage. Such actions may delay the processing of the applications concerned.
For new postage rates please refer to Hongkong Post https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/postage_rate_2018/
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Dietetics and Nutrition