Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
Advanced Certificate in Exercise Rehabilitation and Nutrition Therapy for Sports Injuries
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 5 months
- Course Fee
Treatment of sports injuries at the right time with proper technique, equipment and diet are crucial for full recovery. The combination of nutrition and physical therapies is essential to promote optimal outcomes. This programme aims to provide knowledge and skills in the areas of exercise rehabilitation and nutrition therapy for those who are interested in the treatment of sports and exercise injuries, such as athletes, personal trainers, coaches, nutritionists, dietitians and other health professionals. In addition to the basic principles of exercise rehabilitation and nutrition therapy, cutting-edge scientific based strategies and practical skills for injury recovery will also be covered.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- Evaluate acute and chronic injuries arising from sports and exercise activities
- Assess nutrition adequacy of individuals and relate specific nutrients in injury rehabilitation
- Perform elementary manual therapy and articulate physical rehabilitation strategies
- Apply basic nutrition therapy and therapeutic exercise on injury rehabilitation
This programme consists of three modules namely:
Module A: Common injuries in sports and exercise
- Pre-participation screening
- Acute sports injury
- Chronic sports injury
- Common upper limb injuries
- Common lower limb injuries
- Head and spine injuries
- Emergency situations on the field
- Overtraining and recovery in athletes
- The prevention of athletic injuries
Module B: Nutrition therapy for injury recovery
- Nutrition and performance
- Roles and functions of energy during healing
- Effect of energy deficiencies
- Assessment of energy adequacy
- Weight control and disordered eating
- Roles and functions of protein, protein hydrolysates, amino acid mixtures during healing
- Assessment of protein status
- Role of protein in muscle restoration
- Nutrition in pain control and wound healing
- Nutrition in anti-inflammatory effects and trauma
- Vitamins in sports nutrition
- Minerals in sports nutrition
- Nutrients applied to injury rehabilitation
- Nutrition for over training
Module C: Exercise rehabilitation for injury recovery
- Examination of sports injuries: Difference between pathoanatomy and biomechanics
- Basic principles of treatment and rehabilitation
- Manual therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Return to play
- Functional anatomy and sporting movement analysis
- Roles of different professionals in a sport team
Assessment for this programme is based on a combination of courseworks and written examinations .
Mode of Delivery
The programmes will be delivered through face-to-face seminars and class-interactive discussions.
Upon sucessful completion of the programme, students will be awarded Advanced Certificate in Exercise Rehabilitation and Nutrition Therapy for Sports Injuries within HKU System through HKU SPACE.
|Application Code||1970-HS190A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Tuesday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- Thursday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm, and some Saturday afternoons
- 5 months
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Admiralty, Causeway Bay, Fortress Hill or North Point)
- hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised university; OR
- hold an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma awarded by a recognised institution with at least 1 year related work experience; OR
- have gained four passes in the HKCEE plus English Language at Level 2* with at least 3 years related work experience; OR
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in 5 subjects including English Language with at least 3 years related work experience; OR
- (i) be mature students over the age of 25 with extensive work experience; AND
(ii) provide evidence of English proficiency, such as HKCEE or HKDSE English Language at Level 2*.
*With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in Syllabus A) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 at HKCEE.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$16,800
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working / dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutritional Sciences). OR
By online: through HKU SPACE website.
Applicants should note that simply meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee entry to a programme. Places are subject to availability and selection criteria, if any.
As Hongkong Post adopted new postage rates on 1 January 2018, please make sure that sufficient postage is provided when you send us your supporting documents by post. For mails with postage underpaid, we shall return the mails to senders or ask them to pay for the shortage. Such actions may delay the processing of the applications concerned. For new postage rates please refer to Hongkong Post https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/postage_rate_2018/
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.