Arts, Design & Culture Arts Management
Postgraduate Certificate in Museum Studies
- Awarded by
University of Leicester, United Kingdom
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 06 Apr 2022 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 2 intakes per year (Apr/Oct)
- 8.5 months
- Course Fee
- £7,760 (subject to review)
The programme aims to provide a programme of study for those who want to develop a career in the museum and related sectors based on leading museum studies research and practice.
- Provide an inclusive, supportive, and yet challenging, learning environment with access to a range of academic support systems;
- Engage students in the critical development of museum studies as an academic discipline;
- Foster within students a motivation and aptitude for intellectual enquiry, critical assessment, creative innovation and a commitment to lifelong learning;
- Prepare students for further academic research in museum studies and related fields including history, natural sciences, education and communication;
- Equip students with the professional knowledge, skills and values appropriate for the needs of a rapidly changing museums sector;
- Produce employable graduates for the museum and heritage sector including museums, galleries, archives, libraries and living collections around the world; and
- Provide opportunities to develop a variety of personal transferable skills relevant to the needs of a range of employers, and develop students’ abilities to identify, reflect upon and communicate these to a range of employers and professional colleagues within museums, galleries, heritage and wider sectors.
- The distance learning programme offers the same subject coverage that leads to the same qualification as the campus-based programme.
- You will also be guided through by individuals who are working within the museum and gallery sector in Hong Kong and in the UK, helping you to strengthen your links with the profession internationally.
- By registering on the programme with HKU SPACE, you will have the opportunity to attend an annual study week taught by the University of Leicester teaching staff.
1. The Museum and Change
2. Designing for Creative Lives
3. Objects and Collections: Care, Management, Curation
4. Engaging Audiences
Students taking PgCert in Museum Studies have to complete four core modules.
Download module description here.
Modules shown represent choices available to current students. The range of modules available and the content of any individual module may change in future years.
|Application Code||1980-PE097A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- Lecturers from the University of Leicester
The School intends to apply for exemption under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which these courses may lead.
Candidates should have:
- a first or second class degree from a recognized university;
a) an overall score of 6.5 in IELTS or a score of 90 for the TOEFL IBT test, taken within the last two years; OR
b) HKALE Use of English at Grade C or above; OR
c) HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 4 or above; OR
d) Leicester English Test (LET) passed.
In recognition of the diverse employment needs of the culture sector, our admissions process recognizes and credits a range of prior qualifications and experiences.
Prospective candidates will either have gained a first-class or second class degree, which can be in any subject area or be able to demonstrate equivalent skills and aptitudes through the possession of professional or vocational qualification and/or the accrual of relevant work experiences. Relevant experience can come from a wide spectrum of work or voluntary environments but clear evidence of this experience must be provided.
All candidates should be able to demonstrate a commitment to, or strong interest in, museums, galleries, or other kinds of heritage or cultural organisation.
Candidates without a degree will be asked to complete an assessment, such as an essay, so as to demonstrate their readiness for postgraduate study. Clear guidance will be provided on assessment criteria. They may also be required to attend an interview.
HK$200 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- £7,760 (subject to review)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application Form (University of Leicester)Enrolment Method
Please submit your application with the following documents through one of our enrolment countersin person or sent by post to :
HKU SPACE PG Admission Team (Culture, Arts and Design)
Room 602B, 6/F, United Centre,
95 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong.
- Hard copy of the completed application forms;
- Copies of academic certificates and transcripts;
- A written personal statement (1,000 words maximum)^;
- Reference letters*;
- Copy of ID card;
- Copies of English proficiency evidence (IELTS 6.5 or equivalent);
- A recent colour photo;
- A crossed cheque of HKD200 as application fee (payable to ‘HKU SPACE’)
(only for applicants who do not submit the application online).
^Your personal statement should focus on the following areas:
- Your reasons for applying for the course
- How your knowledge and experience links to the course content
- How the course relates to your longer term plans
*If you have been in full-time or part-time education within the past five years, at least one referee should be your academic tutor; if not, you may give two employment references.