Engineering and Science General and Environmental Sciences
This course provides a hands-on overview of best practices during onsite IAQ field sampling to attendees without previous formal microbiology training, and satisfies the minimum training requirements for being an HKIAS approved inspector for IAQ microbiological parameter field sampling. This course satisfies the minimum training requirements for being an HKIAS approved inspector for IAQ microbiological parameter field sampling.
The course consists of 2 half-day workshops with lecture and practical sessions.
Topics for lecture include:
- Introductory Microbiology for indoor air
- Decontamination and disinfection
- Indicator micro-organisms and their significance
- Methods of sampling (indicator and pathogenic micro-organisms)
- Equipment and materials used in field sampling
- Pro's and con's of different sampling methods and devices
- Quality assurance and practical issues during on-site sampling
- Maintenance & transport considerations of samples.
Topics for practical sessions:
- Basic microbiological techniques–aseptic procedures, disinfection, and proper disposal of microbiological waste.
- Indoor air sampling–sampling techniques, use and maintenance of sampling devices.
- Reading of results–total bacterial counts and total fungal count, interpretation.
Days / Time
- Saturday, 9:30am - 1:30pm
- Course dates (2 meetings) are tentative and subject to change :
- Lecture on 25 Feb 2023 (Sat)
- Practical on 4 Mar 2023 (Sat)
HKU SPACE Learning Centre and Queen Mary Hospital
Lecture session: HKU SPACE Learning Centre (to be confirmed) and Practical session: Student Laboratory, Block T, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong (to be confirmed)
- Dr. Miranda Yau
The applicant should hold a Higher Certificate / Associate Degree / Diploma in Engineering, Technology or Environmental Science issued by a recognized institution.
- Course Fee : HK$2700
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, attendees will have satisfied the minimum training requirement for being a Hong Kong Inspection Body Accreditation Scheme (HKIAS) approved inspector for field sampling of the IAQ microbiological parameter under the Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS) accredited IAQ Certificate Issuing Body (IAQCIB).
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please send in the completed application form together with the appropriate course fee and any required supporting documents to HKU SPACE, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong (Attention: Ms. Bonnie Ng).Payment Method
Course fee can be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to "HKU SPACE". Please specify the programme title for application, student's name, and student card no. (if applicable).
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard.
- More Programmes of
- General and Environmental Sciences Medical Sciences