Architecture, Environment & Housing Construction, Safety & Built Environment
This is a well-structured programme for those who are working or planning to work in the field of occupational safety and health and wish to become a Registered Safety Officer in Hong Kong.
The Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health (Dip in OSH) programme is designed for those who are working, or planning to work, in the field of Occupational Safety and Health and wish to become Registered Safety Officers in Hong Kong. It will provide students with fundamental and comprehensive professional training in dealing with OSH matters, and equip them to participate effectively in resolving OSH problems in both the public and private sectors.
Module title: Occupational Safety and Health
This module aims to equip students with Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) working knowledge and practice in the work environment, particularly in construction, so that they can formulate and recommend sound measures to deal with OSH related issues.
1. Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Legislation in Hong Kong
- Development of OSH and OSH law
- General duty of care – employer & employee
- Worker’s compensation
2. Occupational Diseases in Hong Kong
- Classification of occupational diseases
3. OSH Management
- Principles of OSH
- OSH policies, guidelines and plans
- OSH management systems
- Work-related health hazards
- Loss control management
- Accident management
- Major incident analysis
- OSH organization, promotion and training
4. Measuring and Monitoring Health and Safety
- Measuring and monitoring techniques
- Workplace inspection
- Safety audits
Module title: Occupational Hygiene
This module aims at providing basic knowledge on occupational disease prevention, health hazard identification, risk assessment, control measures, and ergonomics in the workplace so that students can develop both strategic and practical approach in reinforcing hygiene practice.
1. Fundamentals of occupational hygiene
2. Principles of occupational hygiene and risk management
3. Hazards recognition and evaluation
- Chemical, physical and biological hazards in the workplace
- Evaluation and monitoring techniques
- Measurement and instrumentation for physical, chemical, and biological hazards
4. Risk Management Techniques and Practices
- Risk analysis - identification and assessment
- Prevention and control strategy formulation
- Managing risks
5. Managing Ergonomics
- Definitions, principles of ergonomics and applications
- Managing ergonomic issues in the workplace
- Risk assessment in manual handling works
Module title: Safety Legislation and Applications
This module aims to teach the basic concepts, general principles and applications of safety legislation in Hong Kong.
1. Hong Kong legal system
2. Safety Legislation
- Occupational Safety and Health Ordinance & its subsidiary legislation
- Factories and Industrial Undertakings Ordinance & its subsidiary legislation
- Introduction to other relevant safety legislations in Hong Kong: Dangerous Goods Ordinance and its subsidiary legislation; Radiation Ordinance and its subsidiary legislation; Air Pollution Control Ordinance and its subsidiary legislation; Boiler and Pressure Vessels Ordinance and its subsidiary legislation; Compensation ordinance such as Employees, Occupational Deafness, and Pneumocionosis and their subsidiary legislations
3. Safety Legislation Applications
- General duties provision – safety system of work
- Safe use of lifting appliances and lifting gears
- Plants and equipment
- Scaffolds and working platform
- Fall protection system
- Works in confined spaces
- Principles of machine guarding
- Principles of fire and its preventions
- Other hazards within the workplace, e.g. woodworking, abrasive wheel, flame cutting & arc welding, excavation, falling objects, electrical safety
Module title: Safety Technologies
This module aims to provide more in-depth technical and operational training in occupational safety and health and hence equip students with abilities to deal with OSH issues at work.
1. Principles of hazard control and management
2. Hazards identification and risk assessment
3. Key elements of workplace design to ensure safe working environment
4. Measurement and instrumentation of workplace hazards
5. Noise and vibration control
6. Personal protective equipment
7. Workplace inspection techniques
8. Accident and accident investigation techniques
9. Human errors in accident causation
10. Accident causation modeling
** IMPORTANT **
The syllabuses of the four modules given above are indicative only. The Programme Team have the right to amend any of them whenever necessary.
Graduates, subject to fulfilling requirements for practical experience, are eligible to apply for:
- Tech IOSH level of membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), UK
- Associate Membership of the Hong Kong Institute of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene(HKIOEH)
The Programme has been recognised for the purpose of registration of safety officers under the Factories and Industrial Undertakings (Safety Officers and Safety Supervisors) Regulations.
- Normally twice a week, 7:00pm - 10:00pm.
There are two 14-week semesters.
- Course Fee: $26,900
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Occupational Hygiene (Module from Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health programme)|
|COURSE CODE 25Z03863-0||FEES $7,500||ENQUIRY 2508-8869|
|Occupational Safety and Health (Module from Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health programme)|
|COURSE CODE 25Z03862-2||FEES $7,500||ENQUIRY 2508-8869|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Construction, Safety & Built Environment