Social Sciences Psychology & Counselling
Please refer to the school announcement of Enhanced COVID-19 Control Measures.
The Certificate in Positive Psychology programme provides an introduction to the core concepts and fundamental principles of positive psychology, including its philosophical approach and its practical applications. Throughout the programme, students explore the research and practice that make up the foundation of positive psychology. The implementation of positive psychology based exercises may contribute to positive mental wellness, increasing psychological assets and resourcefulness.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
1. describe the history and development of positive psychology;
2. explain the differences between traditional psychology and positive psychology;
3. explain the basic assumptions, principles and concepts of positive psychology;
4. identify positive psychology phenomena in real life;
5. apply positive psychology approaches in daily living.
- Reflection Paper
- Individual Assignment
- Group presentation
Upon completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE "Certificate in Positive Psychology".
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 7:00p.m. - 10:00p.m.
- 7 December 2022 - 23 August 2023
(34 meetings in total)
- Hong Kong Island Learning Centres
Module: Fundamentals of Positive Psychology
1. Introduction of Positive Psychology
• Overview of the programme
• Introduction to Positive Psychology
• Well-Being Theory - PERMA
2. Understanding Positive Emotions, Happiness, and Well-Being
• Positive and negative emotions
• Happiness and well-being
• Broaden and Build Theory
3. Strengths and Positive Outcomes
• Classifications and measurements of strengths
• Identifying strengths and moving towards a vital balance
• Neurological findings with mindfulness
• Cultivating mindfulness
• The flow state
• Cultivating flow and its benefits
• Research on spirituality and positive psychology
• The benefits of spirituality
7. Positive Cognitive States and Processes
• Self-efficacy, optimism and hope
• Wisdom and courage in daily life
8. Goal Achievement Accelerators
• Positive primes
9. Positive Mindsets & Resiliency
10. Positive Psychology at Different Stages of Life
• Resilience and creativity in childhood
• Positive youth development
• The life tasks of adulthood
• Successful aging
11. Positive Relationships
• Components of successful relationships
• Active constructive responding
• Creating a culture of appreciation
12. Prosocial Behaviours
13. Positive schooling
• The power of positive and negative teachers
• Cultivating positive learning environments
• Strengths applications for school & parenting
14. Positive Institutions
• The psychology of gainful employment
• The strength-based approach to work
• Review & Reflections
(a) have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in five subjects including English Language, Chinese Language, Mathematics, Liberal Studies and 1 elective subject; and have 3 years of work experience;
(b) have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 3 subjects and Level 2 in Chinese Language and English Language*;
and have 3 years of work experience;
(c) have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL subject or 2 AS subjects;
* With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
* Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee: HK$12,500
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in Positive Psychology
|COURSE CODE 44C106048||FEES $12,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5865|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Positive Psychology
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit: i) a completed application form (SF26)^, ii) copies of academic certificates, iii) a copy of HKID card or passport*, and iv) an application fee of HK$150 by crossed cheque (payable to “HKU SPACE”) to the following address:
Ms. Sophie Wong
HKU SPACE, 11/F, Fortress Tower,
250 King’s Road,
North Point, H.K.
(Remarks: Application for Certificate in Positive Psychology)
^ Application forms can be obtained from any HKU SPACE Learning Centres or download from http://hkuspace.hku.hk
* Applicants will be asked to present their HKID cards or passports for verification if applying in person at one of the HKU SPACE enrolment counters, or to attach a copy of their HKID cards or passports if applying by post.