- Increase students’ confidence to deal with everyday spoken situations, e.g. talking about your home, talking about free time activities (e.g. food, sport and travel), discussing work and jobs and making simple phone conversations.
- Consolidate and build on the basic grammar learned in the first year, future and conditional tenses, past tenses, comparative and superlatives and gerund and participle.
- Enable students to write a short simple letter or email and to complete a simple curriculum vitae in a given format. Also to take down simple notes on a telephone conversation.
- Build students’ confidence while listening so that they can demonstrate an understanding of the main point in short simple messages and everyday conversations, e.g. when listening to information about family, the local area and hobbies or when listening to basic information on the telephone.
- Introduce students to some important areas of Portuguese culture, e.g. culinary specialties, regions of Portugal and Portuguese-speaking countries, housing, industry (e.g. tourism and fashion).
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- in speaking, to handle common everyday situations such as talking about personal interests, home and work, when the language is clear and slow; also, to make simple phone conversations.
- in writing, to write a short simple letter or email and to take down notes on a basic telephone conversation.
- in listening, to follow the most important information from short and simple messages / everyday conversation and basic telephone conversations.
- in reading, to find specific, information in simple texts such as information leaflets, recipes, timetables and advertisements, and to follow the main ideas in simplified articles, e.g. magazine-type and newspapers.
Course participants' progress is measured through a number of assessment components including:
- A mid-course progress test
- Oral work – continuous assessment
- A final test
- A final oral test
Students who successfully pass* the programme are eligible for the "Certificate in Portuguese (Intermediate)" awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
*Passing the programme means students have to meet the following:
- Overall passing mark: 50%, and
- Attendance Requirement: 70% of the contact hours.
- For enrollment, please attach a copy of your result letter from the "Certificate in Portuguese (Introductory)".
- Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
- Swapping between parallel groups (if any) is not allowed under any circumstances.
- No make-up classes will be offered for students’ absence.
- Approximately one week before the course, students will receive an email with course details. All the course materials will be given in the first lesson. Students should attend the first session of the class at the specified time and place unless any change is made to the advertised details.
- In case you enrol within a week before the course starts, please inform the programme team as soon as possible.
- Non-local applicants are required to show original copies of their permits and/or visas for their application.
|Start Date||16 Sep 2023 (Sat)|
|Time||10:00am - 1:00pm|
|Venue||HPSHCC Campus, 66 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.|
- - 120 hours
- 40 meetings
- 3 hours per meeting
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants shall have:
- (i) obtained the Certificate in Portuguese (Introductory), awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
(ii) studied approximately 110-130 hours of Portuguese at a different institution; and
- sufficient English proficiency to follow simple explanations in English.
Other applicants may be interviewed if necessary to confirm their suitability for the programme, e.g. if they have studied a similar number of hours elsewhere or have alternative experience learning the language, such as a study visit to the country.
In the absence of the evidence listed in (1), students should contact HKU SPACE for further information.
- Course Fee : HK$9,550
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in Portuguese (Intermediate)|
|COURSE CODE 38C134490||FEES $9,550||ENQUIRY 2975-5764|
Continuing Education Fund
All our 120-hour award-bearing Portuguese courses are eligible for CEF refunds.
To receive CEF reimbursement, students must:
- register with the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF). (This is the responsibility of individual applicants); and
- successfully complete the 120-hour course.
Application forms, full details of the reimbursement requirements and the reimbursement procedures can be found on: www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/. Students who would like to obtain mroe information about the CEF reimbursement should seek advice from the CEF office.
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Portuguese (Intermediate)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.