Life & Health Sciences Dietetics, Food & Nutrition
Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 01 Jun 2017 (Thu)
- Next intake(s)
- Jul 2018
- 5 months
- English supplemented by Cantonese
- Course Fee
- $14,300 / $10,000 (Advanced Certificate with Module A exemption)
The programme aims to provide students with the knowledge of the operation of the foodservice system and basic management skills. Students who successfully complete this certificate and Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management will be awarded the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management. These programmes equip students to take up supervisory duties in the food industry.
The programme consists of 3 modules:
Module A - Food and Nutrition
- Introduction to food and nutrition;
- Overview of nutrients and their functions;
- Balanced diet;
- Specific nutritional concerns in different sub-groups;
- Introduction to disease specific nutrition.
Module B - Food Service System Management
- Introduction to foodservice operations;
- Food production flow;
- Catering equipment and facility;
- Menu planning;
- Recipe development and standardization;
- Ethical principles for foodservice management.
Module C - Basic Management Skills
- Overview of management skills;
- Strategic planning and decision making;
- Implications of customer behaviour, marketing and food promotion;
- Leadership and employee motivation;
- Financial Management;
- Human resources management;
- Labour relations management;
- Interpersonal and communication skills;
- Critical workplace skills and problem solving.
Remarks: Exemption on module A – Food and Nutrition will be given to students who have successfully completed the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Nutrition / Child and Adolescent Nutrition.
- A HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management will be awarded to successful candidates.
- Students who successfully complete this certificate and the Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management will be awarded the HKU SPACE Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management.
Students who successfully complete Advanced Diploma in Food Business Management together with all required HKU SPACE programmes, namely Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology, Advanced Certificate in Food Science, Advanced Certificate in Nutrition and any two of Advanced Certificate in Clinical Nutrition and Health Promotion, Advanced Certificate in Child and Adolescent Nutrition and/or Advanced Certificate in Sport and Exercise Nutrition and other bridging courses are eligible to apply for entry into the BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition extension programme offered by HKU SPACE in collaboration with Ulster University, UK.
- Monday 6:45 - 9:45pm
- Thursday 6:45 - 9:45pm; some Saturday afternoons
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point)
(ii) provide evidence of English proficiency, such as HKCEE or HKDSE English Language at Level 2*.
*With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 at HKCEE.
Preference will be given to those who are recommended by employers.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- $14,300 / $10,000 (Advanced Certificate with Module A exemption)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
CEF SectorBusiness Services
|Basic Management Skills (Module from Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management programme)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z02595-3||FEES $4,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5881|
Continuing Education Fund
The Module on Basic Management Skills of the Advanced Certificate in Food Service Management programme has been included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purposes.
In order to be eligible for the CEF approval, students are required to meet a minimum of 80% attendance rate of the Module and to pass the Certificate programme.
Applications should be submitted at least 2-3 weeks before the commencement of the Module.
|Continuing Education Fund reimbursable programme (selected modules only)
Some modules of this programme have been included in the list of CEF reimbursable programmes. Application for CEF has to be made before commencement of the modules.
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and an application fee of HK$150 (non-refundable) to either:
- By Post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, HKU SPACE, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong. OR
- In Person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition. OR
- By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Certificate in Quality Control and Food Safety Management