Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesData Science
Workshop Series on Data Science and Big Data
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 16 hours
- Course Fee
There is currently a great focus in Hong Kong on Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science.
Many students are enrolling into programs that provide the educational foundation to participate in this new area. Many professionals are wondering how they can learn Data Science and apply its technics to their daily job.
In view of this, HKU Space is offering a series of presentations on Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science given by actual Practitioners of Data Science in Hong Kong. Speakers hail from Conglomerate , Investment Banks, Insurance Company, Fintech , Start Ups, Technology Company.
Topics included in this series of presentations are:
|On the way towards intelligent chatbot|
|Data Science for Financial Markets|
|How to use Data Science to transform the Marketing Strategy of Luxury Brands|
|How to use Machine Learning to transform Training and Recruiting?|
|Machine Learning in the Retail Space|
|How to use Data Science to build better products|
|Machine Learning in Corporations|
|From Wall Street to Data Science|
Tentative Schedule for the 8 presentations* :
|7 July 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|14 July 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|21 July 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|28 July 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|4 August 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|11 August 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|18 August 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
|25 August 2018 (Sat) 2:30 - 4:30|
Venue: Hong Kong Island Learning Center
*The above offering schedule/ topics/venue are subject to change without prior notice.
Mounting of each presentation is subject to sufficient enrolment and solely at the discretion of the School.
Students attending 6 or more presentations' attendance will be issued a Statement of Attendance.
Speaker Presentation Topic
Speaker: Bertrand Chen
Presentation Title: From Wall Street to Data Science
Bertrand Chen is the Group Data Scientist at Cheung Kong Hutchison Holding, a global diversified conglomerate headquartered in Hong Kong. In his role, he is helping the various Business Units within the Group to use Data to pursue new revenue opportunities.
In this presentation, Bertrand Chen will give an overview on the latest trends in Artificial Intelligence and Data Science areas, specifically how multiple industries are changing their Business models to leverage on. Bertrand has a rich background in Finance, Loyalty Program and Diversified Conglomerate. Beyond the transformation of Businesses, Bertrand will also explain the transformation of the workforce and the emergence of the role of Data Scientist. He will provide some insights on what continuing education is required, and what trainings are most beneficial to adapt one’s career to this new paradigm.
Speaker: Guan Wang
Presentation Title: On the way towards intelligent chatbot
Guan works as a Data Scientist at Swiss Re. His job involves using machine learning and data mining techniques for automation and augmented intelligence.
From web crawling to annotation tools, from sentences to words characters and radicals, from embedding and weights to labels and losses, from LSTM and CNN to bi-direction and iterated dilation, from classification to sequential tagging and generation, from entity and relation to knowledge graph, from you to bots, we are still on our way towards building a reasonable intelligent chatbot.
Speaker: Kirill Pavlov
Presentation Title: How to use Machine Learning to transform Training and Recruiting?
Kirill Pavlov is a Recruiter and Head of Data Science at Terminal 1, a Hong Kong-based technology recruitment company. He is responsible for machine learning services helping recruiters to find and assess candidates.
This presentation gives an overview of HR Tech industry and the role of Machine Learning in it. Having technological power, companies transforming traditional phone-based sales model to a human + machine scalable yet personalized services. Kirill will share a story of Terminal 1, Hong Kong-based HR Tech startup, and cover its approach to candidate scoring and assessment using Machine Learning. Lastly, Kirill will share some insights of Data Science job market: what companies are looking for, what skills differentiate top candidates from others and how to position yourself on the market in order to get a better job.
- 8 sessions of 2 hours
Learners who are passionate in big data and want to become the data champion in their respective company and move Hong Kong to the forefront of big data.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or MasterCard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please aubmit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.