Arts, Design & CulturePerforming Arts
Postgraduate Diploma in Music Therapy
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 1.5 years
- Course Fee
This Postgraduate Diploma programme caters for the teachers, therapists, social workers and health-related professionals, providing them with practical experience, systematic training and environment to the interested and qualified students to fulfill one quarter of the requirements to become a registered music therapist with the Australian Music Therapy Association.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- acquire initial skills in the use of music as a medium to stimulate positive health and educational changes in child clients;
- be able to fulfil the task of a music therapist in training using basic methods; and
- learn basic design and appraisal of therapeutic programme or approach within the appropriate ethical standards of practice for working with child clients.
The duration of the programme is 1.5 years.
|Module Title||Class Date||Contact Hours|
|1. Music Therapy for Child Clients||Part 1: February 2020||24||12|
|Part 2: August 2020|
|**Intensive classes of Module 1 are delivered 2 times per year on Friday(evening), Saturday & Sunday (full day).|
|2. Music Therapy Methods Introduction||Part 1: April 2020||24||12|
|Part 2: October 2020|
|**Intensive classes of Module 2 are delivered 2 times per year on Friday(evening), Saturday & Sunday (full day).|
|3. Music Therapy in Hong Kong Context and Advocacy||Friday (evening)||30||20|
|4. Clinical Practice in Music Therapy||September 2020 - June 2021||96||36|
|**Clinical practice (field placement) and tutorials with local supervision.|
|5. Music Psychology Research||To be advised||24||12|
|**One 3-hour session per week for 8 weeks.|
|Total Contact Hours:||290|
Please note that student's learning schedules will be quite packed from October 2019 to April 2020.The medium of delivery and assessment is English.
Graduates of this programme who meet the entrance requirements of the Master of Music Therapy (by coursework) of the University of Melbourne, Australia will be granted exemption of four modules (25% of the programme) if accepted into the Masters (by coursework) programme.
Blended learning mode of the Master’s degree is now available online. Student can access MU’s web page: http://mcm.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/master-of-music-therapy/overview for more details. Those who plan to apply for the Melbourne University (MU) Master of Music Therapy (by course work) have to fulfil the programme entry requirements.
A 'Postgraduate Diploma in Music Therapy' will be awarded by HKU SPACE to students who meet ALL of the following;
- have passed the assessments of all the modules; and
- have attended at least 80% of the lectures and 100% of the placement.
A combination of individual or group assignments ranging from 1,500 to 3,000 words, audio recorded repertoire and presentations.
- 5 module(s)
Admiralty Learning Centre
Exact room: to be confirmed
(a) (i) hold a Bachelor of Music, or
(ii) hold a Bachelor of Music Education, or
(iii) hold a Bachelor degree in an allied health or education profession (e.g. teaching, occupational therapy, nursing, etc.) awarded by a recognized university. If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
1. HKCEE (before 2007) English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade D or above; or (Syllabus A) at Grade B or above; or
2. HKCEE (2007-2011) English Language at Level 3 or above; or
3. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
4. HKALE (1992 – 2012) Use of English at Grade E or above; or
5. an overall band 6.5 or above in the IELTS; or
6. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL
(b) have attained ABRSM Grade 5 or above in theory and Grade 6 or above in one practical instrument (excluding voice);
(c) have completed at least one psychology module (e.g. modules in behavioral neuroscience, learning and cognition, developmental psychology, social psychology) at university year 1 level at a recognized institution;
(d) pass the admission selection interview.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Students should have achieved a certain level of guitar proficiency, for example singing with a guitar using 4 different chords (including bar chords) and at least two types of strumming or picking before Module 2.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$52,800 (in one single payment)
- HK$1,682 (Library Fee: optional)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Please submit the following documents to any HKU SPACE enrolment counters or post to HKU SPACE, 19/F, Island East Campus, 494 King's Road, NorthPoint, Hong Kong (attention to Ms Nana Cheuk).
- completed application form (SF26);
- a copy of academic transcripts; and
- two crossed cheques for the application and course fees (payable to "HKU SPACE").