Accounting & FinanceRisk Management
Executive Certificate in Virtual Banking Risk Management
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 17 Apr 2020 (Fri)
- 3 months to 4 months
- English, supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
Classes to commence in March. Apply now.
What is Virtual Banking?
A virtual bank is a bank which predominantly delivers retail banking services through the internet or other forms of electronic channels instead of physical branches. This covers all online transactions whether via the web, email, mobile check deposit and ATM machines. This is different from the ubiquitous internet-based option offered by regular banks through online banking.
Virtual banks, with their strong emphasis on technological innovation, agile development and simple products targeted at defined customer segments, require the adoption of a new approach to risk management.
The risk profile of a start-up virtual bank will be very different. For example, while a successful cyber attack is a serious matter for an established traditional bank, it could strike a fatal blow to the reputation of a virtual bank with technology at the core of its brand. From a conduct perspective, there are also new risks arising from the targeting of potentially vulnerable customer segments which have previously been underserved by traditional financial institutions.
Given the greater use of open application programming interfaces (APIs) and partnerships with third parties, data protection is another area which needs to be carefully addressed.
In response to this trend, this programme is developed to provide students with the knowledge and skills in managing risks in virtual banking business.
The programme aims to equip students with knowledge and skills of managing risks in operating virtual banks.
Mr. F. W. Wan, BSc, MSc, CISA
Impact of Artificial Intelligence and Big Data on Compliance and Risk Management
Mr. Wan leads advisory practice across AI/RPA, Virtual Bank, Robo-Advisory and Digital Payment in an international consulting firm. Prior to joining the consulting sector, Mr. Wan was a regulator with primary focus on policy setting and issuing codes in relation to Regtech, Algo/Electronic Trading, Dark Pool and Robo-Advisory areas. Previously, he also played a lead role in driving Asia Pacific technology audit in a Top-tier US investment bank. He holds Master of Science degree.
|Application Code||1775-EP154A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Assessment and Award
- Assessment is based on an in-class quiz MCQ (30%) and an individual assignment of a case study (70%).
- To be eligible for the award of Executive Certificate in Virtual Banking Risk Management, students should obtain at least 50% overall marks of assessment and 70% attendance.
1. Key criteria for operating a virtual bank
2. Risks associated with virtual banking
- HKMA supervisory Policy Manual
- HKMA risk based supervisory framework
-Technology related risks
-System resilience and business continuity management
-Money laundering and detection of suspicious acts
-Third party vendor risks
-Risks associated with a new business model
-Cross border transactions data transfer
-Different legal jurisdictions
3. Risk management process
4. Trust and professional ethics
5. Customer protection
6. Contemporary case studies
Executive Certificate in Virtual Banking Risk Management
2019/2020 – March Term
Tutor: Mr. Darren Wan
|1||17/04/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|2||24/04/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|3||08/05/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|4||15/05/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|5||22/05/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|6||29/05/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|7||05/06/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||ADC 304|
|8||12/06/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||TBC|
|9||19/06/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||TBC|
|10||26/06/2020 (Fri)||7:00 - 10:00 p.m.||TBC|
*The venue, time and date arrangements are subject to final confirmation. HKU SPACE reserves the right to make changes.
Applicants shall hold:
(i) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized university or equivalent; or
(ii) an Associate Degree / a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of work experience.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 Application Fee
- Course Fee : HK$7000
- Alumni Rate : HK$6300
- Early Bird Rate : HK$6300 (enroll in the course on or before 14 Feb 2020)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.